Offline Files and Folder Redirection Problems

Discussion in 'Networks' started by gary_potten, Apr 7, 2006.

1. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Ive got a tricky one here, A few weeks ago I was "Testing" a suggestion that someone said to me about folder redirection, some of our users horde crap on their machines and we have just installed a tera station as a central store for all data.

I used the folder redirection tool in W2k3 SBS manage server to point the My Documents folder at a network share.

As soon as I did that lots of users complained about the errors they were getting because I had also limited there usage space.

The current problem is that after I reset, or thought id reset all the things I had played with, 2 users were still having trouble with slow machine usage and synchronize each time they log off.

After alot of very slow testing I found that it was the 2 PCs rather than the users that had the problem and the system kept trying to synchronize with the folder that was set in the redirection process.

If I removed the network cable from 1 of the machines and log on with a cached domain logon, an erro message Pops up and says.
    PROGRAM ERROR
    \\SERVER\FOLDER IS NOT ACCESSIBLE. YOU MAY NOT HAVE PERMISIONS TO VIEW THIS FOLDER. PLEASE CONTACT YOU ADMINISTRATOR.

The user also has no programs on the start menu and cannot open any files from local drive, each program gives: AN INTERNAL ERROR HAS OCCURED.

If anyone has any ideas I would really like some help.
    Cheers:eek:

WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

That to me seems to hint at a network connection problem on the part of the machines. Have you looked at the physical connections and made sure that they are ok?

Thats about as much help as I can be on this one. :oops:

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Did you just redirect My Documents? It is possible to redirect application data as well which might be causing the problem. What happens when you log on as a different user on the same PC? Same problem? It may be a corrupt user profile.

Edit: How many people are connecting to the network?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

I have been looking a bit deeper at the problem and I believe the application data has moved aswell, there are 3 folders inside the users folder which is having the trouble. The folders are, Application Data, Desktop and My Documents.

There are about 30 users on our network but only 2 have this kind of problem, I have logged on with different profiles on the effected machines and the same thing happens, the problem is isolated to the PCs rather than the user profiles.

Cheers

WIP: MCSE 2003
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’ve seen the problem with the application data before. It happened with users that had laptops and when they were disconnected from the network any application that had written data into the application data folder would not work.

Could you try taking the users out of the OU that has the group policy and then log them on again? Type gpresult at a command line to make sure they are not picking up the group policy. Is there any group policy on the PCs? If so take them out of the OU. I assume you haven’t changed the default domain policy.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Why not just make the application data available offline? That should fix the problem.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

have you redirected any folders in the users profiles that are hidden?

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA