official - I am the world's dumbest person

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, May 16, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

All the time my networking problems and trying to sort out why I couldnt access my laptop from my unix machine, and the cable was not plugged into the router.

How thick can a person be :?: :oops:

The router is up against a wall, ports facing the wall, so it wasn't till tonight when something fell down the back of my desk that I noticed this.

What a major t^t I am :oops:

But it gets worse.

Now I could connect to my router, but not to the net.Couldn't underastand this.

Took me an hour to realise I had unplugged the the modem from the phone line earlier, for a reason I cannot remember :oops:

Anyway I finally managed net access and just ahd to elt you know that know matter how dumb you sometimes may feel when not able to figure something out, you'll never be quite as gormless as I :oops:

PS: I wrote a majorly long brilliantly funny post about this, but mozilla shut down right at the end, thus losing it all, and having to start again.You missed a treat, oh well nevermind.

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

congratulations
    welcome to the club

I remember a time (this was after recently passing my CCIE Written exam) I was having a LAN round my house, and i couldnt access a share, so out game the big guns, nmap scans, tcpdumps, etc, after 5 mins my friend said 'oops' i look over and he picked up the end of the cable, not plugged into the network!
    how we felt gormless!

remember, it could always be a physical problem not an MS one!! :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

This happened to me once before, so I always said to myself always always always :!: check the simplest things first.

In a book I read it said the same thing.

I ahd this ingrained in my daily philosophy, but it obviously escaped me on this sad day.

Some people may not post something like this, but it can happen to anyone I suppose, so if we learn a lesson here today, then my :oops: is worth it.

:morebeer

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

lol it only seems to get worse mate
    the more you work with the stuff, the more you learn, the more you forget about the simple things 'naw it could never be a cable, im not that lame'
    40 mins later
    oh yep i am :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I call these OSI Layer 0 errors. A layer 0 (zero) error is just one of forgetfulness...human error...in my case, a "senior moment"...in my daughter's case, a "blonde moment" (and I'm glad she can't see this post). No worries, flex. We all have them. It's only bad when it happens in front of a client or the boss. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We've all had this happen Flex and I think you are a top man for posting it on here. As Phoenix said, can't connect first thing physical connections then after that more serious option should be used. Easy to say now, but better now than in a work environment. I speak from experience here, you look and feel a right t1t. :oops: lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yup, I'm with the rest of you Guys - top marks for holding yer hands up in public Flex :thumbleft

I've spent the obligatory full day troubleshooting why my newtork was completely goosed, only to discover that the power lead into my hub had worked loose. Ahem. :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just have to :lol: at you all. All making such silly c0ck-ups. I would never be THAT silly, Nooo, not me. Hang about, why can't I connect to the internet, why can't I get a dial up connection??

Oh, look, the cable is plugged into the wrong port :oops:

Seriously though, in this complicated hi tech world of ours its easy to overlook the simple things.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685