Official Announcenent of IP4 exhaustion

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dales, Feb 3, 2011.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

If anyone has a spare browser you can watch it and a discussion on the transition to ipv6 here http://www.nro.net/news/icann-nro-live-stream 14:30 UK time today!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Cheers for the link. I almost can't wait for IPv4 to go and stay gone. Just so I never ever have to say the words 255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255.255........................... ever, ever again...........255

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

True. But try remembering: 2002:483:1f12:221:290:270f:fee0:2093 instead :biggrin

Besides, my company has an IPv4 address space of 8192. We use about 200 of them. We're by no means untypical - I've worked for companies that have thousands of addresses and use less than 2% of them. Instead of p***ing about putting a ridiculously difficult to remember addressing scheme in place, they should look at taking back unused address space from companies who don't need it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

That's only going to buy time really.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

An IPv4 address walks into a bar and yells "Bartender! I'll have a strong CIDR, because I'm exhausted!"

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Nice one mate!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

lmao :biggrin

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Does it mean we can all hand our notice in tomorrow and go home? we have completed the internet.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Well... there's still more people on this planet than IPv4 addresses... With all the smartphones needing an address, plus other internet connected devices, even the above wouldn't really help in the long run if the vision of Bill Gates had anything to go by; many years ago, Bill had a vision of a smart home where everything had an IP address. A lightbulb that went out, could automatically order a replacement of itself via the internet...

Admittedly, it would simply be smarter to give every house a single IP address and NAT the objects inside to do the above, but we'd still end up having to use a massive number of addresses.

However, some companies do admittedly use up a MASSIVE number of addresses. I once read that Apple has an entire first octet range to themselves. 16 million addresses for a company with not even 1% of as many employees? Definitely overkill...

Ah well...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. BosonMichael

FYI to ISPs: my refrigerator does NOT need an IP address. kthxbye.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Funny you say that because I'm dead keen on smart homes and have been hoping recently that ip enabled kettles, fridges, ovens, microwave ovens, etc. will come out sooner than later. :D

13. BosonMichael

It still doesn't need a public IP address. That's what NAT is for, bro!

That said... I have neither the need nor the desire to connect my kitchen appliances to the Intarweb.

14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

True in regards to NAT. Can't agree with second part though. :D

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've heard this trotted out as far back as I can remember. It's pants. There is absolutely no reason that ANY smartphone needs a public IP address. I don't think any of them actually HAVE public addresses anyway. It's a tired argument put out there for the non (or semi) technically literate, who know what an IP address IS, but not what it DOES, or the difference between public and private addresses.

I've been hearing dire warnings about IPv4 address exhaustion for as long as I've been in this industry. It's no more a real threat now than it was 12 years ago. Backbone routing on the Internet and within ISPs - yes, no problem. IPv6 inside the majority of organisations? never - not necessary and never will be.

And Shini - I know you work for MS - yay you :clap - But quit with the Gates cheerleading. The man missed the boat on the Internet so badly, and for so long, that for you to propose him as some kind of net-connectivity sage is laughable.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm a firm believer that everything should have a globally addressable address
    NAT was created as a stop gap solution to the lack of IPv4 addresses
    but it breaks things, protocols that can't deal with it, encryption capabilities, its just not a clean technology
    security folks sit both sides of the fence saying NAT itself is a security benefit, or a drawback, i personally sit in the drawback arena :)

I'm all for IPv6 and decent routing again, bye bye huge BGP tables, bye bye complicated NAT tables, bye bye worrying about NAT breaking my TCP sessions

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Err, phoenix your blog mate, its kind of not there anymore!

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Yeah i know i forgot to renew it and it got squatted
    i just registered inquisitivegeek.com so it should come back soon :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0