Office products showing incorrect file names when I hit the open button

Discussion in 'Software' started by RyeGuy, Mar 30, 2009.

1. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

We have all of our server equipment in one location in the US and then we have users working off of terminal server in the Philippines. One of our users has a really odd issue, when he goes to open a file in any one of the office products it displays some odd characters (ex. $7.99, 3pfiadf) things of the sort. Now this does not happen all the time and it does not happen for any other users working off that same terminal server. Also he has not been able to take a screen shot of this, when he does take a screenshot it shows up normal and doesnt display the odd characters. We have run virus scans on his machine, I did a repair of the office products. I am not sure where else to go with this, I thought about recreating his terminal session profile and seeing if it continues but like I said before it doesnt happen all the time. Also, if he does a shift+tab and goes back and forth through the windows he has open after a few clicks it appears normal again and doesnt show the odd characters. If anyone has experienced this issue or has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCSA, MCTS, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try recreating the TS profile mate.

Also how is the user connecting to the TS? Thin client?

If its possible try updating the RDP client to the latest version.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

The user's are just using Windows remote desktop to connect, I am trying to go through every step I could before I recreate the profile just to make sure that it's not something else. Do you think it has anything to do with some cached files somewhere? I read some posts on a couple websites to try to delete temp files but that seems weird.

4. Sparky

What remote desktop client version is the user currently running?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

Still having this issue, we finally recreated the users TS profile and thought we were good but it appears as if we are not.

After playing with a few settings in TS manager and looking at his actual profile, it looks like it only happens if the user already has a document open but is trying to either open a new doc or save that doc. When you look at the names of the files that appear incorrect it is pieces of the document that is open.

Ex: User has a document open that starts off with "Dear xxxx, We regret to inform you that your claim has been denied" when the user goes to save that document or goes to open another document, it shows file names that show up like "Dear xxxx.doc" or "We regret to inform you.doc". I honestly am stuck on what to do next, again it doesn't appear to be happening to any other user on that TS.

The user is working off a Dell Optiplex 745, do you think it could be something to do with his actual local machine? Maybe a disply driver issue? You would think that if it were something to do with the TS other users would be experiencing it and we already ruled out his TS profile. If anyone has any other suggestions or any insight please let me know.

Rhino

6. Sparky

Is there anything in the event logs on the local machine?

7. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

I just looked through the logs and I don't see anything that would be causing it. There has only been information logs since we recreated his profile. I am tempted to just to update all his drivers and see if it continues.