Office Docuement password removal

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Gingerdave, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hi All

As part of the ongoing documentation project I need to document our FTP server, unfortunately the server in question was setup by a now ex employee who when contacted could not remember the password he put on the files.

As such do any of you know of any good and completely free password removers for office documents? All the ones I have found so far require a fee which at the moment the company is loathe to pay.

Many thanks

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

This is why I set up permissions as opposed to encouraging people to password protect files.

It's a pain in the arse to remove them.

I've searched in the past and I couldn't find any reliable freeware to remove such password protection.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'm also curious.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

We used a program called Passware in my previous company but its not free, worked well with only a couple of documents being unable to recover.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. Gingerdave

Thanks for the link Metalstar - Rep added.

I do agree with both of you that permissions, either share or File are indeed the way forward, unfortunatly this was created before I joined the company.

Thinking about I should have mentioned that it is an excel file I need to access.

6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I've used this in the past to remove excel passwords.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Gingerdave

And we have a A winner I don't know how reliable it is but it wrked in this case.

Notes thanks for the link - Repped