office assistant/ admin (silly question)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jake77, Feb 7, 2012.

1. jake77

jake77 Bit Poster

This might be stupid, but I am under the impression that office assistants are usually women. I am wondering about this, because I have just applied for an office assitant job, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this role.

Certifications: 50m swimming certificate
    WIP: No cert, I'm an apprentice.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Helps to have hot totty round the office ;)

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, there is a higher percentage of office assistants that are female, there's a higher percentage of teachers that are female, there's a higher percentage of male tech support people compared to females...

However what does that have to do with anything? I've known and still know plenty of excellent male and female office workers, tech support, teachers, etc...

I guess the question is "how do you feel about the job role?" For me, it wouldn't bother.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

50m Swimming Certificate....nice!

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  5. jake77

jake77 Bit Poster

Yeah it doesn't bother me either, I was just curious of opinions. End of the day it's a way for me to get my foot in the door of the IT world.

6. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Hi jake77

I started my working life 20 years ago by being an office Junior, had to jobs like deliver post across to various departments, reception duties, franking post and even sending Telex!!!!! I showed a keen interest in IT and joined the small IT Department. Unfortunately got made redundant in the early 1990's and then decided to do a IT foundation course which then led on to a Computing Degree at Staffs Uni and have worked in IT ever since.

So no its not a silly question, get your foot in the door and it can lead to better things.

I had a short fling with one/two of the Office girls at the time too! :tune :lol:

Bob

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+
  7. jake77

jake77 Bit Poster

Thanks, thats what I'm hoping for, a chance to get the foot in the door. Experience is experience, although I am more keen on the flings you mentioned, haha.