Office and keyloggers

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Jun 2, 2014.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just been speaking to someone who claims that they typed a personal letter in office,but then was getting adverts for injury lawyers etc. The letter shhe had written was about a hospital and the ad was more or less relating to that from what i gather.

Could this be a keylogger or just a major coincedence???

I may get her to try it again, but with a different subject just to see if this prompts any more suspect ads. Im thinking that these ads in general anyhow, but have advised her to take certain measure etc.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The user claim circulates around her story only. There's no saying she hasn't been browsing subject matter around this letter, and she hasn't thought to mention that to you. Make sure her full browsing history is cleared down with something like ccleaner, then run the check again. I'd bet that tracking cookies from something she's already been looking at are more likely to be at fault here.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yeah, ive told her to do the c cleaner bit and also told her to run an antivirus scan to be sure etc.

Im thinking as shes typed her letter, shes been searching online for advice/how to write up etc so its picked up that way

Cheers for the input

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

I would recommend two plugins for her Web Browser:

Ghostery - which is great at blocking 3rd party trackers
    uBlock Origin - A blocker which is not resource heavy and works just like adblock plus if not better.

Additionally, I use HTTPS Everywhere, it works by rewriting requests to websites as HTTPS if its available.

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation