Office 2k Mailboxes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, May 19, 2005.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok, ive been set up with a mail account on an exchange server (lets call it - abdn01), which is about to be migrated to another server (abdn03), but the problem is, that we have a universal email mailbox (on abdn02) which is for the servicedesk as a whole, which everyone ideally wants access to.

Im running outlook 2000 and would like to be able to view both my mailbox, and the other mailbox on the same profile (i dont want to have to continually log out and into different profiles). Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do this? bearing in mind they are on different servers (apparently its an issue)

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

As far as I'm aware Fergal, it's really a permissions issue. If you imagine each mailbox as a public folder, then if you have permissions to those folders, they should appear automiatically in your Outlook. That's how I always had it set up (but then I ain't no Exchange expert !)

Worth a look though ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Fergal1982

i do have permissions for both, but apparently if they're on different servers they cant be on one profile!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

If this is at work, can I ask why it's up to you to set up your own mailboxes ? There should be someone to at least advise you how to set this up, if not actually config it for you ?

Just curious ...

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

if the two servers are in the same organisation you should be able to access both without need of seperate profiles, but i could be wrong, i havnt actually tried this lol
    we use public folders generally for 'all can read' mailboxes

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Fergal1982

the service desk email list is only to be accessed by the service desk, so they assign permissions for each agent. and as far as the accessing the service mailbox is concerned, they seem to be under the impression that it cant be done under a single profile. but im convinced that its possible, i might perhaps email microsoft technical support to see if they have any ideas.

who knows

Fergal

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

If the "Service Helpdesk" group has access (read/modify most likely) to the "Service Helpdesk" public folders,and you are a member of that group then that should be all that needs to be done.

I'm surprised that this isn't already in place for you m8, but as always, I may be missing something here ...

8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

To view more then 1 mailbox all you do is click on the advanced tab in the exchange profile and then add the desired mailbox (Control Panel\Mail\ Highlight MS Exchange Server\ Select Properties\ then click on the advanced tab). If it is an Exchange server outside of the domain then yes it ain't gonna work...inside the domain then no problems, it'll appear! This is the case for Exchange 5.5., 2000, and 2003...

This How to may do it for you...take note of the "if your running Outlook 2000" bit

http://www.uel.ac.uk/it/helpdesk/addmbox.html

Permissions or no permissions, the mailbox will appear in the folder list...permissions only affect your access to it i.e. when you click on it "Access Denied" will apppear!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...