Offered a job interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Alex Wright, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

I uploaded my CV to Monster and a couple of other recruitment sites on Wednesday as I've had enough as I can take working for my current employer.

I had a couple of calls yesterday from agencies and the like, and also received a call from a gent that works in HR for a software developement company named Civica:

http://www.civicaplc.com/uk

He said that he saw my CV on-line and the company would like to invite me in for an interview. The manager of the technical department that I'd be reporting to is apparantely really keen to take on young, ambitious, hard-working 1st/2nd line techs. In addition to this he's also very keen to employ people that study around their' jobs. The salary on offer is great (although I do appreciate that money isn't everything) and I've been told that there's lots of good, in-house training.

Here's the job spec:

Job Title: Technical Assistant

Department: Technical

Responsible to: Director responsible for Technical Department

Responsible for:

Customer support:

• 1st line hotline support (Gregg Smith to Mentor)
    • Knowledgebase and Hotfix uploads to the Civica Website
    • Software Release processing
    • Premise data verification and update (especially for version numbers and remote connection details)
    • Continuation of the roll out of customer remote connections through the Central IT CS portal servers
    • Accessing customer sites and carrying out maintenance checks and upgrades
    • Remote & on site installations & server moves
    • CD/Media production for customer distribution
    • Assist in order processing where necessary
    • Daily consumable replacement

Technical support:

• Operating system (UNIX, MS Windows) utilities and features, as directed
    • Administration of backup and tape rotation
    • In house machine support
    • Helping build and replace machines as and when necessary
    • Store room maintenance
    • Learning and updating the APP system
    • Following ISO Procedures

Training

Civica Public Protection will provide all necessary in-house training for the Candidate in all areas mentioned above. They will also receive a good grounding in Microsoft Operating Systems, servers and TCP/IP networking.

Skills

Windows
    Any Unix/Linux
    Networks

Personal skills

A self starter
    Drive and passion to look for and take on new technologies
    Good communication skills in both an internal and external support environment
    Looking to gain extra skills in support and dialogue of operating systems
    Able to prioritise work
    Thorough approach to all aspects of work
    Ability to work in a team environment​

Interview date's this coming Tuesday. Please wish me luck! :D

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well done and good luck!

One bit of advice - only my opinion - I'd be a wee bit careful on what info you post on an open forum with regards to jobs. What you don't want is an employment agency picking up on this and then trying to supply their own candidates to fill the job. Also you probably don't want some peeps from here badgering the company because they've "found out about a job on offer from a website called www.certforums.co.uk".

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

I agree. There may be others out there looking as well that may not feel they owe you any loyalties. Might even be more qualified for the job. Also, a lot of companies will tend to use agencies or brokers to fill their employment needs and may not appreciate the flood of job seekers that could result from your post.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Best of luck for the interview :) I hope they don't search the Mentors name any time soon :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012