# of virus laden emails lately

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ffreeloader, Aug 20, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

How many virii emails is everyone getting right now? In the last two days one of my accounts has gotten about 200. I have to laugh though. The account I use on my one remaining Windows desktop machine hasn't gotten one. The account that's gotten all the Windows-virus laden email is one I use on a Debian machine. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh, i can't wait to learn more about Linux so i can use it on my Tosh. :oops:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, none for me, Freddy, but then maybe that's just because I take care with my email addresses, and only make them as public as they need to be. I certainly don't use any of my main accounts to sign up for any of the cr@p-of-the-day sites around the net (not that I even visit that many, I must add).

I keep roughly 4 levels of accounts - the public "register-and-be-damned" one, hotmail so I can have MSN access, gmail as a forwarding account, and my main personal account that hardly anyone gets to know about. If general enquiries need to come through to me, they go to gmail, and are then filtered and forwarded to this as required.

And then there's the CF account - spammed to hell, but used for any serious CF business where I need to present a CF address to the outside world.

So I don't really subscribe to the "only Windows email gets spammed" point of view - more the "irresponsible attitude to the use of email gets you spammed" view.

IMHO :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Woops - I owe you an apology before you even got to see this, Freddy ! I read your thread all wrong, then re-read your original post after I wrote the above. That's irony indeed that you report. My bad for not picking up on this :oops:

My point still stands about responsible use of email to keep yourself protected though :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity