OEM XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 4, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I always perform a clean install.

That said, sometimes upgrade discs can be used for a clean install... it will usually just ask you to insert your old Windows CD, and it verifies that you have an older copy. That said, it doesn't usually work with OEM installations where the Windows CD is really a CD from the computer manufacturer. Plus, it's been years since I've had to install Windows using upgrade disks, so I don't know if that method works with XP or not... I'd Google it to be sure.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Then you got lucky. Most people who've tried it found that it failed miserably. That said, I said it wasnt supported. it might work, it might not, and they wont help you getting it to work if it doesnt. It could be something as simple as not having IIS running on the machine, or another Server-based service. You will never know.

Course, its free, so you can always try it out. You lose only time if it fails.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present