1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd minor dns issue with a server

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

I've setup a secondary server in a remote location with a static IP address. Before I set it up with a static IP, I shipped to the remote location with DHCP turned on, I had one of the users turn it on for me and once I was able to RDP I changed the IP address to a static IP. However the DNS never got updated with the new static IP address even though I did an ipconfig /registerdns

So I manually deleted the A record and re-ran the ipconfig /registerdns and that worked. Now I have an A record with the appropriate IP address. Then after a few hours, the A record went back to the old DHCP IP... I also ended up creating a reverse look up zone for that office because it was not created for some reason. Doing some more investigative work I noticed that the DHCP scope still had an active DHCP lease for that server so I removed that lease and that seems to have resolved the issue for now. Don't know if it will come back but I am pretty certain it won't.

Did anyone else experience this? I've setup serer this way in the past many times and never had any issues.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA