Odd issue with login script & home directory

Discussion in 'Software' started by zebulebu, Sep 1, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've been working on a problem for a while now and its beginning to do my head in.

We have a pretty standard setup for user logins/profiles as follows:

2 x DCs
    User accounts in various OUs and members of various groups
    User's home directories mapped via their AD account - to a share with a root folder and an individual user folder underneath (e.g. \\<SERVER>\HOME\<USER>)
    General and department-specific shares mapped under a vbs login script, run under a GPO

Intermittently - and this can happen to anyone, on any day, with no pattern either to the server they log on to, time of day, group membership or anything else - user's home directories (which, as stated above, are set under their account settings in their AD profile) are being mapped, but only to the root folder, not the correct subfolder (e.g. \\<SERVER>\HOME\)

I suspect this is some sort of race condition, whereby the user account is not authenticated prior to the login script running, hence they can't map to specific drives. However, I can't set 'wait for network' and 'run login scripts synchronously' because, incorporated within the login script is a setting that runs our auditing software (detecting what is installed, machine specifics etc) and that takes three minutes or so to complete. As you can probably imagine, I can't have users waiting three minutes to log on!

I've been reading this forum post which details exactly the same issue I am having, but haven't been able to come up with a fix for it yet. Anybody else come acrss something similar?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi Zeb,

We have not had this issue yet, however, it would be good to know what the cause of this is/was.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

I had a similar problem start to crop up before. I fixed it by just putting the home folder information into the log in script

Dim objNetwork
    Set objNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")

strUsername = objNetwork.Username

'Mapping User Directory

objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "H:", "\\*****\Users\" & strUsername, True

Set objNetwork = Nothing

WScript.Quit

^ rather chopped down version of my logon script.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yes, that's what I'm considering Hip. Only problem is it means going through and stripping all the old user home directories out of the accounts in AD - not a partiuclarly onerous task in my lab, but a pain in the arris with 700-odd user accounts to wade through :biggrin

Maybe I can script it...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you highlight all the 700 accounts, right click on one and the select properties you can then edit the home drive and blank it out. That should change all the accounts in one go.

Then hopefully the edited vb script should map the drive correctly. 8)

Edit: Ive done this with roaming profiles before but I think it can be done with home drives as well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs