Observations on recently passed MCDST...

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by spokane_kev, Jun 6, 2006.

1. spokane_kev

spokane_kev New Member

Passed 70-271 two weeks ago and passed 70-272 today. I used general knowledge, Microsoft Press second edition books, and the Measure Up practice questions on the Measure Up web site.

The Microsoft Press books are a good review of Windows in general, if you are already familiar with Windows XP. Just a word of caution on the Measure UP CD practice questions packaged with the Microsoft Press books: there are number of blantant errors. I did screen captures of the errors and mailed to Microsoft Press :) That is why I purchased the practice questions from the Measure UP web site. They did not contain any errors (naturally after I gave up more $$) LOL! anyway....

I over-studied for 70-271 and after passing, I immediately started studying for 70-272. I got through the MS Press book in a week, mainly because there is a lot of overlap on topics between the two books. This was true with the books and on the exams. Overall, I found 70-272 easier because of the overlap and the fact they didn't focus too many questions on Microsoft Office. I'm sure Microsoft will never really present more Office questions on 70-272 since they have the MOS exams for that area.

Certifications: MSDST, MCP, A+, CHDP
    WIP: MCSA, ACDT
  2. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

I found loads of errors in the book themselves, but they were the first editions so they amended in the latest version. If you didn't know already you would fail any questions based on this mis-infomation. Noticed a couple of errors with the measureup questions, such as missing answers, but I didn't even touch it for the 70-271 as the questions are really indicative of the real exam and it just made me feel bad when I was getting those load multple answer questions wrong :)

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF and congrats on the pass! :biggrin :cheers :thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Measure up do get it completely wrong sometimes, so be careful. Don't ever assume any information is 100% spot on unless you have had it backed up from other sources.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :morebeer

I'm going to get extremely drunk at this rate :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the pass mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

Sorry mate...I forgot to congratulate you on the pass. Congrats! This MCDST lark is getting rather popular now :)

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

nice one! :morebeer

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats on the Pass! :biggrin