o2 contract to o2 contract.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Big_nath, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to move the number of my old contract to my new one. I know you would usually get the PAC code and get them to port the number, but apparently you can't do this contract to contract if both contracts are with the same network. Has anyone encountered this before?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Speak to O2 customer services.

They'll tell you all you need to know.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I did this, they simply said it isn't possible. But how can this be i can transfer the number to a different network, but not within the same network.

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

*shrugs* Perhaps there's some caveat which prohibits same operator number transfers.

I'd ring O2 up again and try to speak to a supervisor and ask for an explanation. They're the only people who will know the official rule on it.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you not just change the tariff on your old contract instead so no need to move it?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Well i was, but they offered me a pants upgrade deal. So i got my PAC code and looked for a better deal. I found a deal online for the phone i wanted for free, with better minutes and text package and for the same price. It just so happens it is on O2, i rang the retention department but they wouldn't match the deal (or even come close).

7. Sparky

Weird, I had the same problem today. Was told I had to pay £200 quid for the phone I wanted unless I went up to a £50 a month 24 month contract. Might see if I can get a better deal on the web.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Try mobiles.co.uk they have awesome deals, i know a few people who have used them and say the are great.

9. Sparky

Cheers mate. :biggrin

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I deal with the mobiles at workand we've changed contracts like that from contact to contract. Should not be a problem unless you are changing billing platforms, ie PAYG to Contact. If you are on contract then speak to your account manager and tell them the situation. Oh and don't take no for and answer.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

the only was around it was to get a PAYG sim, transfer the number to that SIM and then transfer it over again

12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Darn it, thats exactly what I was going to say, o2 contract to voda/3/whatever payg, xfer it back to o2 contract. Think however you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can do each xfer, dont think its long but better checking that with each supplier before taking the plunge.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  13. Mr.Cheeks

think it is aruond 7 days... so to get the number back to your new contract could take up to or around 21 days or even less if you ar lucky, my mate done this in 5 days...
    ...it's worth the wait

14. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im not 100% sure on this but to transfer a number from PAYG to contract requires a different kind of sim card. I only know this as ive lost millions of phones and i bought a PAYG to keep me going and when i registered the sim they sent me all the way over to liverpool to the vodafone shop to pick one up???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  15. Mr.Cheeks

Sims are normally different from PAYG and CONTRACT. Still doesn't make a difference.

oh yeah, the PAYG sim has to be on a different OPERATOR.

16. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

what this cheeky chap said

obviously the PAYG sim being on a different network

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  17. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the responses guys. I read so many conflicting info on the web. I'll try and speak to o2 again first if not i'll get a PAYG sim like some of you suggested.

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

O2 have a strange way of conducting business, look at the backlash with the launch of the iPhone 3G S.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

They do indeed. I can't beleive if i had done a straight forward upgrade i would have had to pay for the phone and have a worse tariff!

20. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

generally, this is where you'd say 'right well now i'm going to orange.. as they've offered me x minutes and y texts more than the tarrif you're offering me.. z phone all for £9/month!'
    and they will go:
    'but we can prowide you with internet broadbandings of the fastest 54 megabytings.. don't leave.. i have no money for food'

..haha no i'm joking (i love fonejacker- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKgbfgzDU3k) but generally i love haggling with phone companies.
    my upgrade was supposed to be some **** nokia worth about £100, £25/month with 500 minutes anynet/time and unlimited texts...i ended up getting £14/month for 400 xover/anytime minutes with 3 magic numbers (unlimited calls to each number) with unlimited text messages and i got a HTC Touch Diamond with it - 18 mnth contract :blink

mobile phone companies are pretty bad at ripping off :/

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)