NVQ Level 3 - equivalent ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by disarm, Apr 14, 2008.

1. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Hi all,

I've seen a job for an ICT Technician, it reads:

Permanent, full time ICT Technician required to assist the Network Manager in installation and maintenance of the college network and ICT equipment. You will be enthusiastic and possess good all round IT skills to NVQ Level 3.

Can anyone please advise what the equivalent in other certifications would be, A+, Clait, etc?

Or does it mean you must have NVQ Level 3 and nothing else?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A+ is a bit higher I would apply if I were you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I think I will, ta!

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

NVQ 3 and/or equivalent would be anything that sits on level 3 of the NQF.

Comptia A+ sits at level 2 of the NQF, so in the eyes of the National Qualification Framework the A+ is a lower qualification than the NVQ 3. Comptia certs that sits on level 3 would include: Network+, Server+, Linux+, Security+ & DHTI+. Other certs/quals that sit at level 3 would include: A Levels, BTec Diplomas & National Diplomas/Certificates.

However, remember that companies will always advertise for their "desirable" person - a person that matches what they want/need 100%. Like GBL already said, apply for the job, worse case scenairo you get more practice at applying for IT jobs or IT interview experience/practice. Best case scenairo you get the job :biggrin

-Ken

ref: Edexcel, Comptia, my previous post

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

Whilst working as a modern apprentice in an ICT Technician Role i gained an NVQ Level 3.................in Business administration.

hasnt really been much use to me though seen as it relates little to any technical support jobs out there, if you have the required experience i would still apply, sometimes they still consider candidates that dont meet the qualification levels but have relevant experience

:biggrin

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662
  6. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Received the application form, which says..

Essential: NVQ level 3 IT qualification
    How assessed: Documentary Evidence (E.g., Certificates)

Desirable: Comptia A+/N+
    How assessed: Documentary Evidence (E.g., Certificates)

Would I be wasting my time applying for this job?

Taking in to consideration I could be spending the time applying for a job I've more chance of getting, and there are lots of jobs about. More jobs than time available to apply for such jobs!

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'd put your application in anyway to be honest. Worst case they bin it, and you lose nothing. Best case you get the job. Bonus!

Just as a bit of a boost, I just accepted a new job at my old employer. The job role they had was a higher level of experience than I am (and they know it - i've only been away for about 10 months). But they decided that they were willing to take me on with lower skills (and obviously a lower salary) and train me up. Ok its slightly different for me, since I knew them already, but it could still be the case with you, even if they decide initially not to pursue your application, they may get to the stage where the interviews havent gone well, and they are willing to look lower down the scale to find someone they could train up to that position.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

What would an NVQ 3 in IT cover anyway? As they also want AD, Server 2003, as desirable skills/exp.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When I did my GNVQ IT level 3 it didn't cover any more than the A+ did, infact A+ covered slightly more but I did the GNVQ in 1994 - 96 so things have probably changed since then

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. deadzebra

deadzebra Bit Poster

OK, could you tell me what level the CISCO CCNA would be on the NQF scale.
    Thanks,
    Nick.

Certifications: CCENT, Network+, MCP, SCSP, BTEC
    WIP: CCNA
  11. Kitkatninja

The CCNA and the Network+ both sit at level 3 of the NQF

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  12. deadzebra

deadzebra Bit Poster

Thanks - not a very good match if you ask me, as I have aleady done Network+ which I found very easy -I am about to take the first part CCNA exam (CCENT) next week - much more challenging than Net+.

Where did you find this NQF info?

Thanks again,

Nick.

Certifications: CCENT, Network+, MCP, SCSP, BTEC
    WIP: CCNA
  13. Kitkatninja

One of the reasons why the CCNA is more challenging is because that it can go more indepth as it is vendor specific, whereas the network+ is vendor-neutral. However the NQF is a qualifications framework which all recognised UK quals/certs are mapped to, and in theory are vendor neutral (hence why on the NQF the Network+ & CCNA are on the same level, even though in the real world the CCNA is harder than the network+). See here, it's one of my previous posts, I've also put references as links.

Hope this helps

-ken