NVQ in IT

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by itnewby, Jan 10, 2008.

1. itnewby

itnewby Bit Poster

it all started when i went to the college open day to look at doing a computer course i been looking at pc maintenance and comptia a+ .i was told that they dont do it but they have this course which is ideal for me .I told them that is was self taught on the pc and had never even taken the back off a pc before and they said that fine you will cover all that on this nvq level 3 itcss (system support)which is what a through in to the mix today i have seen inside a pc once in 4 months we do very little practical .its not just me there is 4 other guys all in the same boat they are saying next year we can do a foundation degree one of the tutors came and gave a talk about the future in it is networking and if we do this ccna we will be able to get jobs no problem .i just feel that i have been misinformed about the courses

WIP: nvq l3ictss
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well you shouldn't go anywhere near the CCNA untill you have been working with Cisco kits in the real world, but what I would say is self study.

Get an old PC the recommended A+ books and bobs your uncle.

I got the above for £80 with the old PC you can take it apart and put it back together again without any fear of breaking a good PC, practices the parts in the books like installing RAM etc untill you are confident then take the exams (there are two for the a++) then you can think about moving on.

But finish the course you are on now, if you are determined you could do the A+ at the same time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. itnewby

itnewby Bit Poster

thanks gbl you have been a real help

4. itnewby

itnewby Bit Poster

by the way what is a gnvq

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This is a GNVQ. GNVQ's are normally learnt in a classroom environment, NVQ's are normally learnt in the work place. Both are vocational qualifications.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. itnewby

itnewby Bit Poster

the nvq that i am doing is in a lab at college it is not work based at all none of us on the course have jobs

7. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

where are you studying?
    it sounds like you are at the same training academy company as me

Becki x

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  8. Kitkatninja

It is a mine field out there. There are literally 100's of different courses validated by different educational bodies, some are professional, some are vocational and some are academic. What doesn't help is that the Government keeps on changing qualifications so frequently that half the time people and companies don't know their "a*** from their elbow" when it comes to qualifications. For instance the GNVQ in ICT has been discountinued and replaced by Digital Applications for IT Users, and just look at how many times secondary education have been reformed: GCSE, vocational GCSE, O Levels, CSE, and now they're talking about replacing the GCSE's with a diploma - and that's just within the last 20 years.

I know what you mean about tutors not being qualified in the selected subjects that they teach, some of them give out advice about this, that and the other without even having experience in the field. And I believe that this may get worse in the future, as part-time lecturers who teach professional courses in academic institutes have to be qualified to teach - this will put some of the current lecturers who work in IT off. However if they teach in a private training company they do not need a academy teaching qual. While I believe that teacher, lecturer's, professor who teach academically should have a academic teaching qual. Those that don't, should not have to be forced to mold into the academic mold (eg stay with training/trainer certs).

One thing I have to say is NVQ's, especially level 3, is work based, it sounds like the course isn't run properly, maybe??? I'm just airing my own personal opinions here, I may be wrong.

As for entering the Foundation degree program, the NVQ 3 is an entry requirement for that programme.

And I agree with what GBL said about the CCNA.

Sorry about my long, long post :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. itnewby

itnewby Bit Poster

blackpool and fylde college ,bispham campus

10. Kitkatninja

Unless I'm wrong? See here , here and here ,