NVQ in IT

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by itnewby, Jan 10, 2008.

1. itnewby

itnewby Bit Poster

can anybody tell me if an NVQ level 3 in IT is worth anything in the real world?

WIP: nvq l3ictss
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

The NVQ3 (the whole NVQ program) is worth something in the real world (UK), the NVQ programme was also brought inline with our European counterparts.

see here under "What are the benefits of an NVQ?"

However taking the NVQ qualification outside the EU, I am unsure of whether or not they are fully accepted outside the EU (as you are planning to move to Canada in your other post), you will have to check with them.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I did the NVQs in IT when I was 16, its extremely basic, you do things such as word processing, spreadsheets and powerpoint with other basic software like wordperfect etc. You do not actually learn about the inards of computing.

After the NVQs I did an Advanced GNVQ thats where it starts getting into how computers work, systems Analysis etc.

But if you are a total noob to IT then maybe look at the NVQs then GNVQ or A+

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja

Hi GBL,

What level NVQ did you do and was it the Practitioners side or the user side? As there are 2 version per level, see here. And then there are the new iTQ's.

There are so many different version it's hard to keep track :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. greenbrucelee

Back when I did it there weren't two different types, but looking at the link you provided I did the users side. It wasn't until I went to college and did the GNVQ that I did anything about operating systems and how a computer works, we also did the users side. So I suppose that was a mixture of both.

NVQs and GNVQs had just been invented when I did them, so I guess they would have changed a lot since then.

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I think the NVQ is absolutely worth doing as an entry level qualification, but to truly put yourself apart from the competition you will need to prove somehow you are better.

In a qualification sense this with mean getting higher qualifications like a HND or a Degree.

Otherwise when you apply for jobs people with experience, A-levels, HND's and Degrees will still be in front of you...

7. Kitkatninja

You'd actually be surprise the NVQ program goes up to Level 4 & 5 which are degree level, see here. It's just whether or not it is accepted out of the EU.

-ken

8. greenbrucelee

I got my HND through doing NVQs and the GNVQ, I didn't have any GCSEs above a D grade so the NVQs and the GNVQ got me the grades to go to uni.

9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes, as always the recognition is almost as important as the training.

Looks like they have revised the levels upto 8.

I mentioned a HND which is level 5. I might be wrong but I've not seen much recognition for anything above that level.

I'd play safe and stick to the traditional Degree programs after level 5 of bachelors, masters degrees and doctorates.

I took the HND -> BSc route and I think its a good route to take.

10. Kitkatninja

The NVQ 4 actually covers NQF levels 4, 5 & 6 and the NVQ 5 covers both NQF level 7 & 8. The NQF was only changed in Jan 06, so it hasn't really had any time to filter into the "real" world, so companies are still using the old NQF levels of 1-5 :)

However I also recommend going down the BSc/BA route especially when moving outside the EU.

-Ken

p.s. I did the HNC -> HND/dipHE (depending on where I would have exited, if I wanted to) -> BSc route as I did mine part-time.

11. itnewby

itnewby Bit Poster

hi i am doing the NVQ level 3 advanced diploma for IT professionals (hardware side) we are doing diffreny units mondays is internet security,weds is install & config ,thur prepare for the delivery of it systems friday is system management i have leaned a lot it seams to be network orientated .but i dont know where it will take me or if it will help me find a job in IT.

12. greenbrucelee

I would keep at it then do other courses, as I said in one of your earlier posts no qualification or certification will get you a job they can only make you look better to an employer than someone with none. But experience is what counts the most.

13. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Well it won't get employers bowing at your feet but that's not to say it won't be "worth" something to you. Look at what topics the NVQ covers and if you think it's worth taking, DO it. When your knowledge increases and you grow in confidence, move onto slightly more advanced certs such as the A+, N+ and MCDST.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  14. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

NVQ's in the IT Industry are a complete waste of time sadly.
    I did an NVQ 2 in IT and it was not worth anything in the IT Industry!!!!
    Most companies want A+ as a min qualification these days coupled with Network+/CCNA or MCDST.

NVQ's are easy to get & do not show that you have reached an industry standard such as A+/N+/CCNA/MCDST/MCP etc.
    Most companies i have worked for when i was in IT wanted even A+& N+ for even entry level techie jobs.

With so many colleges offering IT courses such like Cisco IT Essentials 1 & 2 which can lead to A+ & Server+
    Follow this up with N+ or CCNA and you have the knowledge to do the role of an IT Tech.

Sorry for being negative but it's what the real IT world is like!!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  15. itnewby

itnewby Bit Poster

when you say a+ and n+ is that comptia a+?and n+

16. Kitkatninja

Yes, Comptia are the ones that do the A+ and the N+ (aka Network+).

-ken

17. Kitkatninja

It really depends on:

1. the NVQ program that you do
    2. the training provider and
    3. the place where you work.

One of my mates is on the Modern Apprenticeships (NVQ) program and he's doing the A+ and will be doing the MCDST as part of it.

And not knocking the NVQ 2 (cause I have one) but level 2 is only GCSE level, see here.

-Ken

18. greenbrucelee

When I did my NVQs, I was told NVQ 1 & 2 were equivelant to GCSEs and that Advanced GNVQ level 3 was somewhere near an A level. So they are not entirley usless, but probably not aswell known to emplyers as a HND or degree.

19. itnewby

itnewby Bit Poster

its a bloody mind field out there .i talked with my tutor today and started a major debate which did't help me as half the tutor dont have computor qual and they are teaching it .

20. greenbrucelee

What exactly is your tutor saying if you don't mind me asking?