Numbering system explained...?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Thomas, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Hello,
    I would like to know if there's any hierarchy in Microsoft cert numbering system, that is - could I, based soley on numbers of the exams, know which exam shoud I take first, second, etc., and where do I have to start if I want to take the path, e.g. of sysadmin?

And I noticed that almost all exams start with 70-xxx prefix, does this number 70 means something or not (since I didn't see any to start with 80-)?

Thanks in advance, I'm rather new to certifications.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Short answer: "No".

Long answer: "Maybe" - while there is no hierarchy with the MS exams, I have found that in the MCSA/MCSE track or the MCITP: SA/EA track, the exams build on one another. But the 70-271 (from the MCDST track) is easier than exam 70-270 (from the MCSA/MCSE track)

On the prefix:

70 - live standard exam
    71 - beta exam
    72 - Academic version of the live standard exam (content is no different)
    74 - Partner Competency exams
    77 - Office based ones (MCAS/MCAP)
    83 - new performance based exams based on the 70 series

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Great explanation, thank you!
    As I suspected, this 70- prefix is 'pretty' random, but your explanation regarding
    prefixes is useful, it helps to cope more easily with exam codes.

As I read on MS.com, when you pass the 70-270 exam you're MCP, so my plan is to take that
    one first, and then continue through MCSA/MCSE track...

PS. Maybe a little OT, but is it the same case with other certs numbering systems (from Cisco, IBM...)

Thanks again for prompt and useful answer!

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you take any of the MCSA/MCSE exams you'll be an MCP.
    270 is usually the easiest to start with as the client tends to be where people have the most experience.

Some exam numbers indicate a preferred sequence but generally not.
    In CIW for example 510 is the foundation required before going on to anything else, such as 520 etc.

You're better off reading the exam requirements from the sponsor's website to work out if you are ready for the exam and if there are any pre-requirements.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Back in the nascent stages of the Microsoft exam program they released exams with 10-, 20-...60- prefixes for early days certification products. By the time Microsoft locked on the current program, it just happened to be at "70-" where it has stayed since, until now with the "83" series.

-Ken

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Ahaaa, now it makes a lot more sense..! tnx for these clarifications, and tnx to 'JonnyMX' for mentioning how other certs work.

This is a great community, if you have more useful info, feel free... :biggrin