1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTUSER.MAN files

Discussion in 'Windows Vista / 7 / 8 Client Exams' started by dales, Nov 5, 2007.

1. dales

dales Gigabyte Poster

Af'noon!

A quick question for you (but I think i've answered my own question) I have just had a go at creating a mandatory profile, from what I have read you can have them as local and/or roaming. So I created a new user account on a workgroup xp pro box, logged in as the user and logged out again. I then renamed the NTUSER.DAT file to NTUSER.MAN and logged back in again, after making some changes and logging back out and in again I noticed that the system just recreated the ntuser.dat file. So after a bit of googling am I correct in thinking that you can only have a mandatory profile if you copy a profile to a server then make the changes then point the profile setting of the local account to the server space.

I suppose I could give making the ntuser.dat file read only and see what happens. I'll give that a go in a minute.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You are correct, the mandatory profile has to be on a folder on a server.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. dales

dales Gigabyte Poster

Cool thanks, and prompt too :D

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing