ntuser.dat issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wires_are_bad, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Hi guys

I'm not sure if this is in the correct area of the forum, but I was wondering if I could get some advise on the ntuser.dat file..

I've just started work in the IT department of a fairly large Finance company, and on a daily basis users seem to be having problems with there profiles. Within Active Directory all profiles are set as roaming which are saved on our file server. Alot of users have experienced problems with there profiles after while losing alot of their preferences (printers and Outlook settings seem to be the most common preferences not being saved) and I was wondering if this was a common problem?

At the moment, I've been told to create a new profile (renaming the existing locally cached profile as old and logging off then logging back in - but also to create a new roaming profile within AD - usually by adding a numerical value after there name).

I was wondering if there was a common cause for profiles to lose there settings? I understand that when ever a user logs off, there locally cached profile is sent back to the server - and vice versa when they log back on. Do you reckon that during this process something is amiss?

Any help would be appreciated and please let me know if any more detail is needed :D

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi WiresAreBad, and welcome to CF:), in terms of ntuser.dat files and corrupt roaming profile issues there is a higher proportion of these going corrupt for all sorts of reasons i.e. read and write etc.

The resolution you mentioned is usually the way forward or alternatively you can rename the ntuser.dat file on the users profile server and copy the old profiles as a backup. Lastly, make sure you also rename the local cached profiles or delete these from the local c: drive to avoid conflicts. Best wishes and yeah! enjoy the fun of working in IT:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Thanks for your reply :D

Yeah I'm renaming the local profile. I guess corrupt profiles are just one of those things that just happen!

This is my second IT job but its a much bigger company and i'm enjoying desktop support - despite users thinking that I can fix just about anything and everything :p

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+