ntldr is missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nelix, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi All

This one is doing my head in

When I boot the machine get the following message

Ntldr is missing
    Press any key to restart

I've seen this loads however when you press any key the machine continues to boot and works fine ??????????

Does anyone have any ideas

Cheers

Derek

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

A. Try Recovery console and use the Fix boot and fix mbr if that doesnt work

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

B. using the cd do a repair win xp

C. you sure the HDD is okay? no bad blocks or sectors?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The classic reason for this is there is a floppy in the drive.

In this case I suspect that isn't the problem as you can eventualy get it to boot.

My suggestion would be that the system isn't giving enough time for the hard drive to get started (or the drive system is failing). Some BIOSes have a setting that allows a longer wait before attempting to access the drive for booting.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I sussed it......

The machine had a second hard drive in it, when I viewed it's contents it had an installation of windows on it. I asked the customer about it and he said it used to be the main drive in the machine about 6 months ago, once I formatted it the system works fine with no error messages.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, I have an issue with my main PC, it quite often fails to detect the hard drive on the first boot attempt. When you do a re-set it nearly always works on the second attempt. I have put up with it for quite some time, as you tend to with your own kit and as it always works in the end but it is irritating.

Harry do you think this could be the issue and if so, what might this BIOS setting be called :rolleyes:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pete,

I think if you enable quick boot it *trims* down the search time for devices and other basic checks.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh really Simon, I didn't know that, it justs shows that you should always study for the A+ :oops:

I will try that and let you know how it goes!

Cheers
    Pete

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have seen it called "Power on delay" and "Boot delay".

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cheers Harry :)

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I have a thread on here somewhere from wayback, where I had a machine that would only boot on every 3rd attempt, and it was totally consistent every time. I ripped my hair out for a long time, till later, after I accepted defeat, I swapped out the HDD for a new one, but installed teh new one on a different position on the IDE cable. VIOLA - first boot, every time !!!!

Draw from that what you will - boy, was I relieved tho.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Gav, I will check that out if the other suggestions don't resolve it. The issue is probably caused by too many devices attached to the MOBO, as well as the HDD there is a DVD burner, CD drive 120GB USB drive, card reader, skype phone, Firewire card, TV card, NIC poor things probably as confused as I am :twisted: