NTL and Linksys Wireless HELP!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Node, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Node

Node Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

I have an NTL250 modem and its linked upto a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. I have a USB going from the back of the NTL250 into my desktop PC. An ethernet from the modem going into the "internet" port on the router and a white cable going from the back of the modem to the phone line. Now my desktop can surf the net without any problems at all. The router gives off a wireless signal and my laptop can pick it up without a problem, but for some reason it cannot surf the net nor can it ping the desktop pc. The response i get when i try to ping the router or the desktop pc is "net unreachable". I think this could be a gateway issue. As the laptop is on a different gateway as the desktop pc. I have tried changing the gateway via TCP/IP settings on the laptop to the same as the desktops gateway but no luck. any advice? Do I need to change the gateway of the router itself to the same gateway as the modem?

Thanks

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Sounds like it could be a firewall issue - have you checked settings or temp disabled firewall to see if you can ping the router ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

If you open up the linksys control pannel you will need to set the router to act as a DCHP server, then set both machines to recieve their IP addresses automatically.

At this point both machines should recieve IP addresses and gateway information from the router and all should play happily together.

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Node

Node Byte Poster

Yep still the same problem. Should the desktop PC and the Laptop have different gateways? By the looks of it the desktop has the modem gateway and the laptop has the router gateway

5. Node

Node Byte Poster

I have done that.. no luck :S Cos the PC is directly connected from the modem and not the router, the laptop only goes via the router.

6. Zendog

Zendog Bit Poster

From what you've posted you have your modem connected to your pc by the usb AND the modem connected via ethernet if thats right you need to remove one of the connections. the modem cant handle two at once.

what I suggest:
    • Connect router to modem via ethernet
    • plug PC into router via one of the ports on it
    • Dont forget to power down the modem, after plugging stuff in
    • you may need to clone the mac of you pc's network card

Hope this helps!

WIP: A+,CCNA
  7. Gingerdave

Spot on, I would conntect both through the router using networking leads.

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats not always true. The bt routers that they provide, with just a usb and an ethernet connection, state that both can be used, should you wish to connect your xbox (for instance) through the ethernet and the pc through the usb. Not only do they claim it to be the case, I've seen it done.

When you say router, what model is this?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Zendog

Zendog Bit Poster

Maybe you can do it with BT but not with virgin/ntl their modems ship with both usb and ethernet but to be honest your best going with Ethernet it seems to perform better.

Anyway if he plugs the Ethernet into his router then from the router to his pc he can log into the router via his web browser and clone the mac of his pc and pull the power on his modem and router for a min or two then restart and it should work

10. Fergal1982

never mind. saw the router model.

I seem to recall discussing a setup like this before. I have recollections of the conclusion being that it couldnt be done in this configuration. The router believes itself to be the gateway, and the connection you set up doesnt work like that.

What you need to do is remove the modem from the solution entirely, and use the router directly connected to the internet line, then run both machines from the router. You may need to get and configure the password settings on the router for your internet connection before this will work.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  11. Node

Node Byte Poster

OK i dont think you understand what the issue is. The desktop PC can get on the net fine, but the wireless cant, it finds the wireless network, connects to it great, but cant browse or ping.

If i try and connect the modem to the router (linksys BEFW11s4) and then connect the pc to it, the PC will not go online for some reason... any ideas why?

12. Node

Node Byte Poster

This is a cable connection not DSL....

13. Node

Node Byte Poster

Please see attached for a clearer idea of the setup

14. Fergal1982

then its probably even less likely to work. the 'internet' port on the router is going to be expecting a phone line, not a network connection.

And I do understand your problem. The problem, is because the router is unable to make a connection through to the internet. Hence why (currently) plugging both machines into the router whilst still plugged into the modem doesnt work.

The more details you reveal, the more sure I am that we have had exactly this discussion on the forum in the past, and the more certain I am that the conclusion reached was to buy a cable modem/router, as what you are trying to do wouldnt work.

15. Gingerdave

Node try it like this and see where you get

Wall point
    |
    | White Fibre Cable
    |
    Modem
    |
    | Ethernet/Network
    |
    Linksys . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .Wireless link......... . . . . Laptop
    |
    | Ethernet/Network
    |
    PC

I run this setup at home with the router handling all of my dhcp and nat duties so there is no need to clone mac address etc.

16. Fergal1982

I thought as much, here

17. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I'm with Fergal on this one.

Connect the desktop via ethernet and then apply the usual rules for connecting a wireless device. Seen a few people use all connections availible with some unexpected results. :D

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  19. Zendog

Zendog Bit Poster

Thats what I was trying to across to the OP with the virgin media modem you either connect via usb or ethernet not both I have a similar setup to what you posted.

It sounds like the modem is giving out the connection to the usb and not bothering with the router. The OP should to do to get it working:

1. Remove USB connection from PC
    2. Plug ethernet straight into PC
    3. Cycle modem by removing power
    4. once connection is running connect Router
    5. log into the router via his web browser (usually done via 192.168.1.1, but this can be checked quite easy)
    6. clone mac address of PC's network card(again quite easy with a linksys router)
    7. switch off Virgin media modem and router
    8. Power up modem and then router
    9. log into router and setup wirless

It's all very easy if you take it one step at a time and to be honest it's what virgin media/ntl will tell you what to do. btw their new modems ship without a usb connection they have so little faith in usb.

you need to clone the mac of the network card because if memory serves me right virgin media only allow so many mac's connected or something like that.

20. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I believe the requirement to clone the MAC address has gone away. There may, however, be a delay before a new MAC address is recognised.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+