NTFS on workgroup IIS

Discussion in 'Software' started by garyb, Mar 30, 2007.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi,
    We have IIS in DMZ as a standalone server [workgroup] that the web developers access via \\10.10.10.100\F$ [LAN -> DMZ -> SMB allow]

For auditing reasons I have decided to lock this down to individual use, ie they now need to login as themselves rather than a default admin account on the server.

I have added each user, assigned them RW access on F but unless I add them to the local admins group they cannot log in, but I dont want them to be admins.:dry

Another quirk is they cannot login using the old \\10.10.10.100\F$, they need to now use machine name \\iisserver\f$. I guess this is to do with caching but even after rebooting clients PC it still attempts to connect using old details, is there a way to clear the user cache manually on clients PCs?

Thanx

G

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The local admin problem is likely to be because F$ is a default share, designed for admins

try create a new share such as $webdevs
    and give the webdevs group (you have put them all in a group right?) RW access to that

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

I couldnt see the bloody woods for the trees Phoenix, your a star. Still cant work out the caching mularkey, but I guess that wil sort itself over time.

Do you know what is really odd on this IIS machine? Each time I change a permission it throws all external web users out of our website! They scream at me then log back onto the site and all is well! I dont know too much about .NET & ASP but that isnt normal behaviour for NTFS.

I am not even changing rights for IUSER so another headscratcher:rolleyes:

Thanx again

G

WIP: MCSA 2003