NTFS no security tab on domain folder

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by dales, Jan 19, 2007.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody knows on a domain with ntfs etc etc if a user doesnt have the security tab, which permissions adds the ability to view the tab, is the list contents or read and execute, I'm think list contents but im not sure.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sounds to me like the PC hasn't been formatted with NTFS.

Only when the PC has an NTFS file system can you see that tab. 8)

3. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Also could be that simple file sharing is enabled.

Turn this off and the security tab will become available.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi thanks for the reply, its definatly ntfs as the folder in question is on a 2003 server, other folders have the ntfs tab around it, I think the folder would have explicit permissions set to it and it was just really cause I'm interested into which permission gives you this access. Anyway had a play around with with perms ande found it is list folder contents that gives you the security tab.

I set up a new folder and removed inheritance set the perms so admin has full control and my looked at the properties through my standard lan account, no security tab and access denied error when trying to gointo folder, added my lan account in the dacl with list folder contents only, and security tab there.

EDIT:

as far as I know a computer or in this instance a server (2003) once joined to a domain automatically disables simple file sharing.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I am pretty certain (please correct me) that simple file sharing is disabled when you join a domain.

This might be a permission issue - the fact that the user cannot see the security tab doesn't mean NTFS permissions are not in use.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Yeah you're right on that one, will think next time before rushing in with an answer :p

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yep, thats correct, was just doing it the other day.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks for confirming :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT