Now it can be told...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Nov 19, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've had an iron in the fire for a several weeks now that I didn't want to discuss until it was a done deal. Now it is.

Remember that I left a temp job at a place called Keynetics for a longer term, but still temp job at HP? Well, Keynetics contacted me and said that they were in a position where they now needed a full-time, permanent technical writer and would I be interested. Of course I said "yes".

I still had to fill out an application and give them three business references, but they made me an offer yesterday. I talked it over with my wife, mulled it over, called them back and asked some follow up questions and accepted about five minutes ago. Full-time permanent with benefits...wow! I can hardly believe it. It's been a long time.

I'll give my two-weeks notice to HP tomorrow. I really hate doing this after all the time and training they invested, but even if the job at HP should last for years, I'm still a "contingent" employee (which means a temp), with no health insurance, no paid time off, nada tostada. I'll also have to disappoint the contract agency that placed me there.

Everyone's been nice and I've learned a lot and if these were the cards dealt me, I'd be ok with it, but I'd really like to go to the dentist again without paying and arm and a leg. It would also be nice to get paid for the Christmas holidays.

They offer a bonus (which I won't be eligible for this year because it's in December), a generous medical and retirement package and the opportunity to benefit financially from the company's success as it grows.

I can't say that I was "wined and dined" the way Phoenix was, but he's quite a bit more talented and well rounded than I. I can't complain, but I wish my head would stop spinning for awhile.

Oh...there's other stuff in the pipeline which I can't talk about yet, but it's been adding to the "stuff" on my plate. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Just off to bed... but had to login to say... flipping marvellous, long overdue and very well deserved! Well done Trip! :D

3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Congrats

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats, man! :) Happy to be going back to the old place, I guess?

Did you give HP the chance to make you a permanent offer?

Didja hear that, Ryan? He said you are rounder than he is! :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

That's great! Congrats Trip :)

6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Great stuff, I hope it all works out for you.

It will be interesting to see what HP say (maybe offer you a new role?) when you tell them you're slinging your hook (should you wish to share that with us of course).

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I don't think they're in a position to do that right now. Enterprise-level organizations don't move too quickly and find it difficult to "turn on a dime". I was originally told that the reason my co-worker and I were hired as contingent workers is because my manager was unable to get approval for two direct hires.

The irony is that my manager is out of town until the first of December, and is not checking in with the office until his return. That would likely make HP being able to make a quick counter offer even more difficult.

Both jobs have their attractions and on the merit of the positions alone, it would be a difficult decision to make as to which one I should take. That said, the decision maker for me is the level of "permanency" (as permanent as anything is today) and benefits I have been offered from Keynetics. Although security is a relative thing, I'm offered more of it at the new (old/new) place than in my current HP role.

Nothing is certain and nothing is forever. I want to do this and not burn bridges at the same time. Wish me luck and, for those of you who believe, pray.

8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Great news Trip!

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Have you seen a pic of me? it's absolutely true! :)

Trip, how are you this weekend mate? I think we both have reason to celebrate! got my offer today and am sending it back tomorrow!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. BosonMichael

Yeah, but does he have to come right out and say it? :biggrin heehee!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT !!!

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats Trip, really happy for you mate you deserve it. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Congrats well deserved :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'll PM you, Ryan. Michael, "bite me". :twisted:

Can't sleep. Finally got up at 3:30 p.m. and have been surfing the web to occupy myself. I have my resignation letter crafted and ready to go. I have to inform both HP and my contract agency, so there's a bit of coordination to delivering my resignation. I'll be glad when this part is over.

16. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the job 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, all.

I came in to work around a quarter after 7 this morning. Fortunately, the guy I needed to talk to is here even earlier. It took him 15 minutes or so to pull himself away from the other guys and the conversation about football.

I pulled him aside and gave him "the news". He took it well. He's very calm anyway and said he completely understood the move to a permanent position. Nothing about "what can we do to get you to stay", which I expected. No muss no fuss.

It was still before 8, so I decided to email the contractor and followed up with leaving her a voice mail right at 8. 90 minutes passed and no explosion, so I emailed the contract worker's supervisor to make sure my contract rep was actually at work today and picking up her voice mail and emails. I finally got an email back wishing me well and all that. Again, no, what can we do to get you to stay or any sort of drama at all.

Guess they're resigned to the fact and Permanent, FT trumps what they've been offering. The "hard" part is over. Now it's just a matter of working through the next two weeks, minus two days off for Thanksgiving, and transitioning out of here and into the new job.

18. BosonMichael

Obligatory pic:
    [​IMG]

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You're far too literal, Michael. Besides, I'm fattening. :wink:

20. BosonMichael

Unfortunately, I like fatty foods. :(