Now, I'm starting to get nervous

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Sep 11, 2008.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I hope it all went well Trip. My thoughts are with you...

2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hey Trip,

Any update? I hope it all worked out well for you!

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What a day...but let me backtrack.

The weekend went fairly smoothly. I got a couple of emails from the contract agency trying to hire me with info on benefits (which are lousy, I have to say). On the other hand, they obviously want me and and sparing no effort to give me the information I've requested.

I didn't start to get nervous until last night. I knew that the folks trying to hire me would want a call first thing and I doubted I'd be in a position to give them an answer at start of business. Surprisingly, I got a fairly good night's sleep. I watched the film "The Bourne Ultimatum" (which I'd never seen) which was a great distraction.

This morning I woke up and talked to my wife again about the whole thing. She suggested that "next time", I negotiate with the people trying to hire me on wage and get a firm answer before going to the current job and asking them to counter. Live and learn.

That did give me the idea to email my contact that the agency trying to hire me and telling them what I needed for an hourly wage. I set it a little higher so there'd be room for negotiation. I blasted off the email at 7 a.m. and figured they'd have to scramble a bit before getting back to me, buying time to talk to the people at the current job.

Naturally, things didn't work out as I planned. The HR person didn't show up promptly at 8 and in fact, ended up not getting to work until almost noon (she had a doctor's appointment). Both the CEO and my direct report were here on time, but no one got with me to tell me what they were thinking.

In the meantime, the other people called. I let voice mail take it, but as time passed while waiting for the HR person to arrive, I decided to listen to the message and then to return the call. I ended up talking to a supervisor since the rep I had been talking to was home with a sick kid today. She was very nice and understood why I needed a higher wage. Alas, they couldn't meet it and she explained what the hiring company (ok, it's HP) was paying them and what they needed to take in to make a prophet. They did offer me a higher wage than the original offer (see, it always pays to ask) but not quite as high as I would have settled for. Basically, they'd be making less profit from me, but that beats making no money if I don't accept the job.

She did discuss the benefits with me more and said she'd have her benefits person call me with more info. She also said she'd go back to HP and see if they'd be willing to pay more (if they *really, really* want me, it's a possibility). We left it at that.

By the by, the benefits guy called. Really nice guy. Gave me all the facts and figures but my co-pay would still be pricey.

The HR gal came in but she got immediately busy with a project for the CEO (and after all, he outranks me), so we arranged to meet at 1 p.m. I decided to leave for lunch and as I walked out the door, the other agency called. I let it go into voice mail and the message said HP wasn't willing to "sweeten the pot". Enough interviewees had met the "minimum requirements", so if the offer wasn't good enough, they'd go with their number 2 choice. Fair enough, but it still was on the lower side of what I wanted.

Lunch came and went and I finally got to the meeting with the HR gal. Sadly, it was a big disappointment. I was prepared for them offering me a job but at a lesser pay rate, with the rationale that they'd be paying for my benefits package and such. I was prepared for them not being able to make me a permanent offer right now, but extending my contract longer to a point where they could hire me. What they offered was nothing.

Actually, the HR person said they tried and tried to figure out a way to make it happen, but with forecasts and budgets and such, they just couldn't swing it. Not only that, but they couldn't promise to extend my contract after the current expiration date at all. They weren't willing to offer anything as an incentive for me to stay and turn down the HP offer. Frankly, it wouldn't have taken much for them to keep me.

I had called my wife before the 1 p.m. appointment (she'd had a minor medical procedure, and I wanted to see how she was doing). We discussed the situation up to that point and I got her thoughts on the matter. After the 1 p.m. talk, I called her again and laid it all out for her.

While she couldn't make the decision for me, she gave me her perspectives on the matter and ultimately, suggested I sit down with a pad and pen and list out the pros and cons of each decision. I know that sounds corny, but it was actually a great help in focusing my thoughts.

I had initially failed to take the change in commute into consideration. Taking the HP job would cut it more than in half, so there'd be a big savings in gas plus wear and tear on the car. If I got the nerve up, I could even bike to work if the weather was good.

As I went down the list, I realized that the HP job was an opportunity for professional growth and could pave the way for even more advanced positions. If any part of this addresses Project Management, then that in and of itself would be a plus.

I think the tipping point was that my current job didn't offer any sort of incentive to stay. Sure, they want me to complete the contract and they love my work, but they didn't offer even to extend the contract to the end of the year. It wouldn't have taken much for them to keep me because I like the place so much, but they didn't do that.

As I made the decision to go with HP, I felt a weight lift from my shoulders. When I had considered just taking the risk and staying where I am because I like it, I could feel the pit of my stomach drop out.

Decision made, I walked outside and called the contract agency to tell them of my decision, but I first asked what their policy was on contract-to-hire. If HP turns out to love me and if they ever get a rec to hire me, I'd want to know if there'd be any road blocks. Turns out there wouldn't be. I gave them my decision and they, of course, were delighted. We talked about the usual stuff...drug screens and background checks but it was a done deal from that point on.

I decided on a standard two week notice. If there is a gap of a couple of days before starting HP, well...I could use the break. I still have issues with HP's corporate culture and loyalty isn't what it once was there when "H" and "P" were actually running the place, but I suppose it won't be forever. At least the contract is open ended and although there are no firm promises, the word "years" is good to hear.

I came back up to the office and composed my resignation letter/email. It was an odd coincidence that my rep from the current contract agency stopped by this morning to see how things were going (and it was a coincidence...she didn't have a clue this was coming). I sent out my emails to the contract agency and to the people here at the same time, so no one party would get the official news before the other.

The gal at the current contract place called pretty much on cue asking if there was any way to convince me to stay to the end of the current contract. There's no incentive to turn down a bird in the hand when there isn't even one in the bush, so to speak.

My direct report came by. I can see he was distressed about me decision but he put on a good face (what did he think I was going to decide?). I'm in the middle of writing an new document and it needs to be finished before I leave. I already talked to the developer I'm working with and arranged a meet for get the rest of it done.

The HR gal walked by and we exchanged "knowing smiles". I said if they planned to bring a new person in before I left, I'd of course, be available to bring them up to speed. Especially since all of the documentation is written in LaTeX in Kile. Not too many technical writers have even heard of LaTeX, much less are proficient with it (of course, I wasn't either until I had to teach myself). I doubt they'll overlap for financial reasons, but I can still leave my "house in order".

My wife has class tonight so I won't see her to tell her what happened until later. She said she'd be OK with whatever I decided.

There's a lot I'm going to miss here, particularly working on an open source environment. I suppose I could ask the folks at HP if they'd be willing to let me work on a Linux PC, but my guess is "no". Still, I could ask.

I'll miss the greenbelt, easy access to the university and the main library, but I guess you can't have everything. I've been praying to be shown a clear direction as to what to do and believe I've been given that direction. It's not overwhelming in terms of getting everything I want, but I can't see the "big picture" the way God can.

Time to make another change.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

No more coffee and lunches? did you factor that into your decision making process?
    I sure hope so! :)

Sound's like it's been a lot to deal with, and I'm sure the decision will turn out to be a good one, you will always learn something!

I hear HP are working on their own linux distro, so you may get lucky ;)
    Good luck, now we can sort out dinner :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Sounds like a nightmare. It's a horrible thing to feel as though you're in the middle of 2 jobs and can't get a firm grip on either of them them.

I'm glad it worked out in the end though and, as it's only contract work, it's not as if you're tied down if something better does come along.

Cutting down on the commute is a massive change though, it's the main reason for my last job move, and I think you'll feel a lot better having that extra time for yourself (it's not all about money). Try working out how many hours per week you're saving compared to what you're losing in earnings, it might not be all that bad.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Commute is cut more or less in half by both time and distance (traffic's a bit thicker in the evenings). I saw this news article when I got home and had both a laugh and a sigh: HP to cut 24,600 jobs as part of EDS integration. This probably won't affect the area I'm going into, it's just that the timing of the story is interesting. :wink:

Dave, whether this is contract work or permanent, full-time, if something better comes along, you can always take it.

Phoenix, yes now we can try to sort out dinner. :D

Actually, when I accepted the position with the new recruiter, I told her she owed me lunch. She said on my second day at work, she'd take me to a Japanese place near HP (I've only eaten there once). Can't turn down free food. :)

7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Blimey Trip! What a rollercoaster ride of emotions, and that was just me reading it...

Congrats on the new job. It was obviously meant to be. :D

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That was my conclusion as well. After all was said and done, last night my wife reminded me that she'd *love* to quit her slave job and go back to school full time. That would require me to be working in a full-time, permanent position. :sigh:

Yes, it was an emotional roller coaster ride. I'm not a person who thrives on crisis, conflict, or confrontation (some people are) so it was a bit wearing on my emotions. I relied on my God (and yes I know, many of you don't share my beliefs...I'm just saying how I got through it all) and let Him "light the way", so to speak.

The interesting part is to see what the next two weeks look like now that I'm a "short-timer" and as the rank and file find out I'm leaving.

9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Congratulations on getting it all nailed down Trip.

I'm not sure I want to know how you've got your wife *slaving* :ohmy

But in all seriousness, glad it's sorted :hug

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oh for cryin' out loud. She works at a place called the Boise Centre on the Grove (and yes, they spell "centre" that way on purpose). She works in the kitchen and although she's technically a supervisor, it's hard, physical labor and odd hours (either really early or really late). She's not getting any younger and she has high blood pressure. I'd *love* to provide her with a living to where she felt she didn't have to work and could follow more enjoyable pursuits such as being a full-time student and being the queen of all volunteers.

Thanks. I'll need to post the "three day report" after I've spent the first three days on the job, which should be in early October. Hugz to you, too. :)

11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Congrats Trip, it's good to hear everything worked out :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congrats, Trip. Sorry it didn't work out quite like you'd hoped, but glad it's sorted out and you're ready to move forward.

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats Trip.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Glad you've got it sorted :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Congrats, Im sure it will all go well.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  16. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I had typed a reply last night but we lost connection due to patching and I wasn't in the mood to re-type it all.

I basically wanted to say: Yes you can always grab something better if it comes along but sometimes it can be more complicated. With permenant jobs you have longer notice periods (my last and current jobs have 1 month notice) and you also don't want to leave a permenant job 1-3 months in, where as you can with a contract role and don't have to worry about looking bad.

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I see what you're saying Dave and true, I wouldn't leave something permanent, full-time after 3 months or so unless A) It totally sucked or B) The job of my dreams came along.

As far as notice goes, two weeks is pretty much the standard here in the US, even for permanent, full-time. I suppose the only time it would be different is if either you could work it out between the old and new job to make it so or if you signed a contract with your employer up front saying that you were required to give a 30 day notice. That would be rare though, at least here.

18. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats Trip! Good to hear that you potentially found something stable, good luck and all the best.

In Canada it's also pretty standard to give a two weeks notice for resigning.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The HR gal just took a bunch of us out for lunch on the company card. I half expected it to be some sort of "farewell lunch" for me to where everyone said how I'd done such a good job and all that. Turns out it was just lunch. Oh well, it was free.

From the talk at lunch, it sounds like they may outsource their documentation needs altogether after I leave. I don't think it's a done deal (at least not as far as public discussion is concerned), but they may really not have a full-time need for someone to do documentation in 6 to 8 weeks (my contract would come due in about 8 weeks). Looks like the move I'm making is the better option.

EDIT: Oh, and the new contract agency is taking me out to lunch tomorrow downtown (within walking distance) to sign papers. Today was Mexican food and tomorrow is Japanese. Never turn down an offer for free food. :wink:

20. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Well theres no such thing as a free lunch trip, I guess these are just arrears for all the worry you've had. Glad you have it sorted out and it sounds like you made the right choice.

WIP: A+