Nother newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Crossbones13, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Crossbones13

Crossbones13 New Member

Well you have to pop your cherry sometime..... might as well do it today.....

So....

:rolleyes:

Certifications: OU Certificate Accounting
    WIP: MOS/MCP
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

welcome to the forum m8...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi there, Crossbones - welcome to CF :)

What brings you here m8 ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi there, welcome to the forums. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, crossbone13. Welcome. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

POP and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Crossbones13

Crossbones13 New Member

Thanks guys in welcoming me..... Always nice to have people saying HI...

As to Jakamoko's question.... Let's say I am interested to read other peoples ideas and remarks about similair interest to mine...

In essence I am looking for some accreditiation for my computer skills.... Never really bothered over the years to get anything certified, but it starts to be a bit of a pain in the backside explaining to people that you have alot of experience, AND people seem to be more impressed when you have some silly piece of paper claiming you have skills.....

So.... one thing leads to another, and before I knew my cherry got popped and a new forum member was born....

Right now I am trying to orientate myself in WHAT I exactly need to prove what I am capable off, and at the same time, how long it will take to get LOTS of accreditation...... or having silly letters behind your name....

Any suggestions..... Currently I am living in the UK, but being of Dutch heritage, I am mostly interested in International forms of Accreditation..... :unsure

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to start by outlining your experience and see what certs might map to them. For example, if you were the senior administrator of a Windows 2000 enterprise network for the past 5 years, the certs to go for would be fairly obvious. :wink:

On the other hand, it doesn't sound like the situation is quite that clear cut. I'm surprise experience isn't working for you but I suspect employers what experience plus that silly piece of paper.

Let us know what you have experience in and we'll try to steer you in the right direction. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Crossbones13

Crossbones13 New Member

Trip....

Experience....
    Working with some kind of PC (the old commodore 64) since mid 80's....
    From then on have had access or owned my own PC and always been using MS (from Windows 3 onwards).
    Started with the original Lotus (?) (spreadsheet program early 90's), and moved over to Excel in early 90's.
    Since then been working with Excel, and Windows software, ranging from building in depth spreadsheets to help in my job (working in financial markets), covering active links, writing macro's, build scenario systems, risk systems, to using emails commercially since 1994......
    While doing this and enjoy the fruits of working in those places.... NEVER got certified (except for some cert's to be an acknowledged derivatives trader).
    From then on, picked up Word, anything to do with the Internet, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows NT, building company networks (5-10 computers), and because of the size of the company I was working for, looked after the network.
    Been on the Internet I would say VERY actively since 1996.
    In 2001 I moved country and jobs, and got more interested in MS products, and started working with other software programs (Business Objects, Lotus Notes) and things like MS Access, MS PowerPoint, MS Query, and found that with my understanding of the structure gained with knowing DOS inside-out, I picked up reading "language" very easy so quickly found myself in writing in depth VBA code for MS applications.
    Now I am diverting more in the general direction of Database applications, and am trying to get SQL in my fingers (which in essence is structured smilar to VBA and the likes) and at the same time some HTML skills......

So...... any ideas ??? :oops:

LOL.... Sorry to dump this on you, but heeee... you opened a door (well in this case a trapdoor....)

Another thing... I like all the peoples little extra's around their posts.... How do you get those.... ??

Cheers.... :D

12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

If you look at the top of the screen, you can see a link "User CP"

If you click onto there, you will see all the options to add the extra bits to your profile.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. Crossbones13

Crossbones13 New Member

Thanx for the User CP tip..... sometimes it is GOOD to try different buttons....

Cheers