Notes - future replication entries - time waster!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

one of my most common probs of late is where customers are changing their computer system date in windows, then replicating lotus notes...

then complaining because no one is receiving their updates when they next replicate...(If notes has replicated when the system date was set in the future, it gets confused, registers the replication entry, and thinks it's that date - so refuses to accept/ send any updates users have made to a database until Windows reaches the date, or us mugs have to go in and sort Notes out - usually the latter)

I find this such a time waster to fix (dial in, go into each future replication entry and remove it, then exit and run Ncompact, and sometimes a Nfixup)

We can't disable these particular customers Windows access to time/ date settings, as we are only contracted to deal with the Notes side of things...

Does anyone know a way I can stop this from happening short of driving over to each individual unit (there are hundreds) and yelling at them to leave the system dates alone?......or does anyone know a quicker way of cleaning up the mess it makes when Notes has replicated into the future?

Cheers,

L

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

if you unable to stop them changing the dates and that is the cause of the replication fault, then the answer may be no...

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Get the customers IT people to use Group Policy to lock down the time and date settings? - Tell them it will save money on supports charges. Solves problem, but may land you in hot water! :biggrin

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Leehaa,

The professional thing to do is for you to notify your supervisor/boss about this issue. If possible, try to document some sort of "before" and "after" perspective of the issue with like maybe obtaining screen shots. Then using the help desk software, open a trouble ticket for yourself with the start date/time when you start to: 1) dial in 2) go into each future replication entry and remove it 3) exit 4) run Ncompact 5) Nfixup. Then close the trouble ticket. Tell your supervisor/boss that you're done with fixing the problem. The reason why this is important to document is so somewhere the beancounters will find out about the "inefficiencies" or "increased costs" for your company due to the customers' "screw up." Then maybe the sales person who sold the service package might have to contact the client to basically demand that they stop messing with the date/time settings. Remember, you're supposed to be the friendly, helpful, and nice "face"/voice that the customers deal with. Let someone else do the "bad cop" routine for you.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As posted Group Policy would support this out, I assume that you are supporting a Windows domain.

Can you escalate the issue to the team that supports that side of things?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hiya Sparky!

Just noticed this post...

It is on a Windows domain, but unfortunately it's not that straight cut - we are totally different companies - the other company look after the windows side of things, and we are supposed to support Notes only....having said that, you may be onto something - I'm gonna email one of their support team to see if anything can be done about it as it's in their best interest - it will mean that it'll reduce the amount of support calls that they fire our way!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE