Notepad manual recommendation

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Rosie1, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good self-study manual for learning code in Notepad for a beginner?

Thx,

Rgds

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What do you mean "learning code in notepad"?

Do you mean manually editing HTML? If so have you thought of something like this?

8)

3. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx for the response. Yes. Wish to learn how to do this. Appreciate that there are far easier programmes to use but wish to cover all angles.

Have never bought a 'Dummies' book before (albeit probably appropriately named, in my case). Are they comprehensive?

Rgds,

Rosie

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

They do exactly what they say on the tin, erm cover. Great books for an introduction to the material if you ask me.

8)

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

'Dummies' books are rarely comprehensive; they coudn't be and remain 'dummies'!

But they *are* a good introduction.

Once you get the basics on board then it would be time to pick up the O'Reilly books, which *are* fairly comprehensive. But they aren't for beginners.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Depending on the technologies you wish to learn you may find www.wrox.com a great publisher of books. I love these guys as their books are very comprehensive and listed in an easy to read format. I generally couple them with the o'reilly 'in a nutshell' books which make great dictionaries of methods and their syntax.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx everyone. I'll take a peek at the Dummies to start, as suggested. As I'm doing this from scratch it might be an idea. I've since spotted the O'Reily book: HTML & XHTML The Definitive Guide 6th ed, which sounds interesting so perhaps in due course. I'll also take a look at that link posted - many thx - and see what's cooking.

Very grateful for all the help.

Kind rgds

Rosie