Not sure where to start?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by DJ7504, Jan 24, 2010.

1. DJ7504

DJ7504 New Member

I need a qualification but not sure which route to go down. I have been building and repairing PC's in my spare time since the Windows 3.11 days, work has pretty much dried up so would like to work for an employer, but I am entirely self taught and no one will entertain me. I started doing an Open Uni degree but it went down the programming route which I have no interest in so left after gaining a certificate which is useless. So I am not sure where to start.

Any help appreciated?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  2. ITtech

ITtech Bit Poster

DJ7504,
    You should do what you love! If you have been repairing computers since windows 3.11 you should easily be able to pass some of the certification exams by self study. I would not recommend going though a Training Provider if you have that much experience (and yes self taugh does mean you do have experience in my book) In the states the job market is tough so you have to do something to stand out. Or you can repair computers for friends and neighbors and get your name out to pick up work.

Get some certs out of the way if that will help you land a job. If that is a tough route I would try to pick up some work by advertising your services as a freelancer

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Network+, CNA, MCSE, CCNA, MCT