Not sure where to start, little financial backing

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Scribbler, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Scribbler

Scribbler New Member

I have loved computers every since I got my first one and removed ME from it back when I was 11 :biggrin I'm 17 now and lets just say didn't do amazingly at school. I'm currently doing a business GNVQ after being offered an ICT GNVQ then told there wasn't enough interest on the first day back at school, too late to sign up for a btech, etc at a college or something similar. :rolleyes:

Soooo, I'm looking for some cert's, anything really, but I don't have much money. I've been looking at some sites offering MCSE training and they seem to want £1000+ :eek: So I'm just wondering if there are any relatively cheap to do exams/certs that would get me recognized well for College or maybe an apprenticeships or maybe even a job?

I have very good Windows knowledge (XP, Server 2003) as I've learnt to use this things just for fun in my spare time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Certifications: None
    WIP: Still figuring this out :D
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF Scribbler! :biggrin

One post and already a Premium Member! Wow! :thumbleft

One thing is certain, you don't need to spend £1000's to get certified! Take a look around other users posts in different fourms and you will see what I mean. (I'm trying to make you improve the valuable skill in IT that is searching for answers!)

One slight note, take a look at our signature rules. We had to implement these because believe it or not some people still use dial up and large sig's take time to load.

8)

3. Scribbler

Scribbler New Member

I had a spare few quid in the paypal ;)

I'll have a good look around this place a bit later, off to school right now :( Thanks for ensuring me the answers are on here somewhere :)

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

One of the best places to start is CompTIA A+, there are some colleges/training providers that do this course, however, if you have good knowledge on Windows (hopefully DOS too) then you should be able to pass the OS section easily. The course is split into 2 cat, hardware + oper sys... This is a entry level course and you may find it useful to do it as self study, there are plenty of references within the CompTIA A+ section for this, one of which is Mike Meyers, . He's an American dude and his teaching is quite good.

But im sure more will reply with a similar post in more depth.

p.s. the exam fees, i think, are around £100 each (Hardware and ops'), and they are done not within your college but at authorised examination centres, see prometric and vue...

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! i agree with the advice on the a+ besides i was your age when i did mine -but had to wait a while to land my first 'job' as a trianee. :( have a look around the A+ section and then if thats what you want look at www.comptia.org\a+ for more info on this exam... also like simon said you can get your a+ for very little (exams being the most expensive! :eek: )

Good Luck! :biggrin

BTW congrats on the premium member and thanks its well worth the cause! :clap :morebeer

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome aboard. Thanks for signing up too :thumbleft

Can't really add anything other than at your age you have time on your side to learn and join a company that will hopefully invest money and training to you. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Scribbler. Just a few things to add to what the others have said. You don't have to have your MCSE to get a job in IT. The thing takes about seven different exams and it's not easy. As has been said, start with the basics. The A+ and Network+ certs will give you a good foundation to build on. Also, in your quest for an education, don't forget experience. I know, it seems like a "Catch 22" because you have to have experience to get a job...well sort of. Doing computer repair for friends...or in a volunteer capacity counts as well. Picking up the odd contract job is good, too. It's all good for the CV. Good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Scribbler

Scribbler New Member

My g/f's dad runs the ICT section of Bedford Council, and has said I can put him down for a personal refference when applying for a job, and if I want I can do some "Work Experience" so he can do more than a char. reference for me ;) They take people on from time to time to train and then work for them, but I want some certs etc to help me get my foot in the door, and also to make the whole thing alot easier due to having prior knowledge :D Looking into A+ Cert tonight looks like it's gonna be the first thing for me! 8)

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If your GF's father is in IT that could well be your foot in the door! Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT