Not sure what to study

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by LukeP, Jun 24, 2009.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I have a problem deciding what to study. I was meant to go for 70-290 but I am not really sure anymore. Basically our network is a mix of Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2000 servers (sounds stupid, doesn't it? - "server server servers") and XP, Vista workstations.
    Tomorrow there is a new server coming in which I will have the pleasure of deploying. It's going to be Windows Server 2008 Standard which will be used as virtualisation platform for another Windows Server 2008 and a linux server running apache and mysql for light internal web applications. Windows platform will host Sage for our accounts department running Terminal Services for remote access and nothing else.

My boss has no problems with investing money in IT infrastructure which means that within the year all Windows 2000 servers will get upgraded to Windows Server 2008 (R2 probably). This will leave me with 2 x Windows Server 2003, 1 x SBS 2003 and 3 x Windows Server 2008.

It's 3 v 3 at the moment and will not grow anytime in the near future. Eventually all servers will get an upgrade to 2008 versions.

Should I still go for 70-290 or should I focus on Windows Server 2008. I was also thinking of doing 70-652 as I will get to work with Hyper-V starting from tomorrow and migration will involve a lot of stuff covered by this cert.

What do you think

harsh comments welcome :twisted:

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Plenty of threads on this very topic.

I'd recommend Server 2003 for a variety of reasons. In short:

1) Server 2003 is widely deployed and will continue to be the predominant server OS for a while.
    2) You can get certified on Server 2008 later, which I would recommend; Server 2003 certs will disappear far sooner.
    3) If nothing else, getting Server 2003 certified will make it look like you've "been around longer". That'll become much more apparent 5-10 years from now, when you've got the 2003 certs and others don't (and can't).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Go for some server 2003 certs, if you make it to MCSA or MCSE you can always upgrade later.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sounds reasonable, thanks.

I think I got all excited about virtualisation in production (as opposite of home lab) and there is no Hyper-V in Windows Server 2003 :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure