Not sure what cert to go for next

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi all, I've been debaiting and debaiting, googling upon googling for some sort of answer but cant make my mindup what to do for the best so thought Id ask on here as a last resort before making my mind up.

As some of you will know I recently passed MTA Windows Operating Systems exam. Im not one of those people who want to overdo it on certs tbh, I just want to get the basics under my belt to feel compitent in what I know. Below are the paths Im considering, your opinions on the path to take would be much appreciated:

1. Comptia A+, ITIL Foundation

2. MTA Network Fundamentals, MTA Server, ITIL Foundation

I have no desire to go for any advanced certs as I dont have experience, Am I right in thinking A+ would esentially cover the content in these MTAs as the A+ is pretty broad. I have to also consider what certs will atleast get me called in for an interview before I can "wow" the employer. From what I've heard is the A+ is not that recognised in the UK (how true that is, is unknown to me) and seems to be more recognised as the fundamental cert in a America.

Advice on a pathway? Before anyone says it I am aware you can land a entry job without certs but they are always nice to have as a proof of knowledge.

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Possibly the ITIL cert. I mentioned it in my interview for where I am now, and they were positively gushing that i mentioned this, even though I doubt ill go for it in the long run ha ha

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think the A+ and N+ are a great route For anyone wanting an IT support career. They are fairly well known but more important than that, I think they teach some really good fundamentals of hardware and networking. ITIL Is a very good cert to have. I'd go for those three personally

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Pseudonym likes this.
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Keep applying for jobs as you study, doesn't hurt, better to job get soon as you can.

Any two or three basic certs should land you an entry level interview if you've written a half decent CV.

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I think you're right tbh, will have to put it great effort the A+ content look beastly.

JK2447 likes this.
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Peice of cake if you want it bro

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Guvnor, Pseudonym and Juelz like this.
  7. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Personal recommendation is definitely the A+. It helped get me my first "break" into a part customer service/part IT role, and then gave me a good grounding a year later when I moved into my first full time IT support role.

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
    Juelz likes this.
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Cant seem to be able to PM you, so will ask here.. did you attend any formal training for the A+ or was it all self-study?

9. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Nope it was all self study. I just bought the huge self study book by Mike Meyers and worked through that*.

* I mean I didn't say it was the Fastest study I've ever done for an exam, but it got done eventually :p

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
    Juelz likes this.
  10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Nice one mate, I actually own that book, very meaty..how long did it take you to get through?

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you have lot time you can probably do 50 pages a day, say book is 1000 pages.

That is 20 days, or approx 3 weeks. 1-2 months is probably more realistic for most people.

12. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to be blunt, but if you spent as much time studying as you do on forums and considering what certs to do you could have done all of them by now.. Just a thought.

13. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dont know what hole you've sprung out from but I suggest you jump back into it Mr. "I joined April 2015".

14. Pseudonym

Sorry dude. It's just kind of frustrating to watch is all. This question has been answered many times here. If you really apply yourself you can get your A+ in no time.

15. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

My opening post suggested I wanted opinions the answers provided are those of different peoples opinions.. really dont get what your problem is I guess you are a troll or something. If posts on forums frustrate you then simply dont go on them, failing that dont reply to topics that frustrate you... Just a thought.

Also read original post as its not about timescale its about a suggested pathway.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Agreed.

Unless members have something constructive to post then refrain from posting. This is not an off-topic forum.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  17. Pseudonym

Apologies. Didn't mean to create any kind of bad atmosphere.

SimonV likes this.