Not really IT related

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by kevicho, Jan 27, 2009.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

But my first achievement of 2009 (well most of the work had already been done), was clearing the remainder of my debt.

250 went into paying off debt (1K left) and 1K went into a savings account.

The debt is interest free so Ive put the money into savings, and set up a standing order to pay 250 a month for next 4 months to pay remainder off, so if the worst happens jobwise I can clear this off with these savings.
    Might as well make a little interest :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Well done you!! :hug

Must be a great feeling - I'm 2 months off (paying off 1K a month) I can't wait!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, I have to wait a litle longer :(

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. danlewis88

danlewis88 Bit Poster

Well done.

I have to start paying all my debt off. I have a total of £1300 from Credit cards (2 of them) and a overdraft:(

WIP: MCDST, MCSE
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Awesome work fella!

What a feeling when it is all cleared?, I'm sure this will be a road that you will not venture down again.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

It must be a great feeling, well done mate... :)

Im still paying off my new car that I got last April, 4K to go. Lucky for me its interest free, because I owe it to my Dad!

Like Arroryn, Im paying back around 1K a month. Can't imagine having an extra 1K a month to play with once the debt is clear!

Uhm... what to do, what to do....

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Christ how much are you guys earning a month to be able to live, and pay out a grand a month ? are you all still living at home or something ? :cry:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I am still living at home, and I only pay a small amount of rent (£150 per month) as my parents won't take anymore. I do try and find other ways of paying more, but its difficult as they really dont need the money.

I guess for my age im earning a pretty decent wage as well, streets ahead of my friends at least. :oops:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats! Being out of debt is a wonderful thing... I dug out of $50,000 in combined debt from me and my wife (I had a business fail about 15 years ago). It's not easy, but it's well worth it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Do both of you guys live with the folks then?

Wish I still had that option... I'd have so much more cash :(

*pfft* :P

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Its a blessing for sure.

The problem now is the way the economy has been going! Its pretty impossible for me to get a mortgage for a flat/house around my area on the money myself and a mate earn. Swings and roundabouts I guess. :ohmy

12. Qs

Yep. I currently rent, but if I had the option of moving back in with my parents I would jump at it.

Rent money could easily turn into a 'limitless supply of beer' fund.

..*sigh*

I envy you matey. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Back in college, when I was initially into my big debt, I was working a $9/hr job. I could (barely) make the minimum payments and (barely) afford an apartment, because the Army was giving me college money for being a veteran. When I stopped getting college money from the Army, I could no longer afford to rent my apartment, and I had to move back in with my parents. I stayed there for a couple of years until I fell in love and moved in with the woman who would later become my wife. Had she not been on board with the whole "get out of debt" plan (both mine AND hers), we'd have never been able to do it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Arroryn

I live with the fi-ance, and we rent privately, though through family. Normal bills, just with me budgeting at the helm :biggrin

I haven't always been able to pay it off at this (alarming) rate, but at the moment, Martin is covering all the household bills so I can finally get the debt out of the way.

It's been a long old road. When I was first starting to pay off my debt 6 years ago, I was packing concrete slabs on shift work, and living in a bedsit in a creaky old cold farm house. I had a budget of £50 per month for food and £50 per month to run the car, and £120 per month for personal spending money, toiletries, clothes and cleaning products. Everything else I earned went on bills.

This far down the road, I'm a budgetting pro. But when you've killed off what will possibly end up in the region of £35K - £40K in debt on your own in 6 years (too frightened to actually work it out, but it's £45K at the most), you're gonna feel like a pro at it.

15. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Well done! Must be a huge relief for you! :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  16. Qs

I see...though £45k of debt?! That's a hell of a lot. Congrats on working hard to pay it off, but I can't help but wonder - how do you rack up that much?

Education for me is my biggest debt currently standing at ~£6k for the HND.

...but £45k?! Ouch.

Qs

PS - I'm not trying to pry :p

17. Arroryn

Well, put it this way. I hated men for a while. And I still hate one specific one. And if I ever go into business again, it's with a much clearer, much more experienced and un-trusting mind.

18. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

45k is serious debt, well done on clearing it down to where you currently are, absolutely amazing really.

Bet you can't wait to have all that spare cash when your done. Do you have any plans for it?

19. Qs

Nuff said.

*nods*

We're not all bad apples! :p

Qs

20. Arroryn

Yeah - a house deposit and a wedding. lol. Oh, and paying for my new 107 (got close enough to being out of debt that I wanted something to "finally" show for all slogging I've done over the years).