not keeping up with the latest trends :-(

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by thetokyoproject, Mar 20, 2007.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

ok, i;ve never bought a standalone dvd player before, don;t own a tv (last one was a 14 inch crt)) and the last console i owned was a sega megadrive.

i'm still using a crt monitor at home and have never owned a hard disk mp3 player. my cassette walkman and 10 year old mini disc player are still intact.

my camera is an old battery job (2M pixel) which has no opitcal zoom and is the size of a brick.

up until about 6 months ago, i didn;t own a camera/mp3 phone.

but the one thing i;ve had for years and is invaluable is my radio controlled alarm clock.

anyone else as old skool or behind with the times as moi lol?

Certifications: 271
  2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

No.:hahaha .

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

im not that behind, i honestly, believe it is good to keep up with technologies, ok, maybe you dont have every gadget, but make you can "play around" with them - simiply becuase when you have to repair someone comp/lappie or whatever, and at their house, good chance there is a little kid with a gadget and he requires help with it.. what i did was go into dixons, and have a play with theirs and their expense, or told them that i was thinking about buying it, asked for the lowdown on the gadget and if i could play around with it aswell...

4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Im not that bad, but being 20 the usual presents all involve technology of some sort! I've pretty much got the bits you mentioned, and hardly make use of some of them.

Things I actually use enough to warrant buying them: 27 Inch Flat TV, Samsung D900 phone, PSP, DVD Player, Sky TV

Things I have and hardly use:iPod Shuffle, Playstation 2, Digital Camera (Two or three times a year, not enough!)

No problem with having older bits thou mate, as long as they do the things you want them do to, ur good :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Great reply, and it will apply to alot of us but at the end of the day we use whichever we want wether it be from days gone by or brand spankin cutting edge gear It's personal preference.

6. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

WAIT A MINUTE

I have a megadrive and a saturn in the loft
    I have 3 crt monitors
    I still have a walkman
    I have a 2mp fujipix (brick)
    I bought my first camera phone last year
    I still use my radio alrm clock

Seperated at birth or what :ohmy .

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Technologically Capable:
    I've got an MP3 player and a wrist-GPS device that I use when running (though I've been slacking at doing that).
    I've got a digital camera that we use quite often. My wife initially resisted, being a fan of 35mm, but when she saw the sheer number of pictures we could take compared to the cost of film processing, she got on board with the program.
    I built a Core2Duo gaming box this past fall. Got the processor a few days before it was officially released. Includes a good video card, a sound card with onboard memory, a DVD burner, and a TV tuner so I can watch TV in my office.
    I've got four active computers in the house - the aforementioned gaming box, my test lab box, my laptop, and the one my wife and sons use. I've got a couple more I'm not currently using.
    I've got an LCD monitor, though it's only a 19" one.
    I own a pair of 5.1 surround-sound headphones for gaming - and another pair of the same model headphones in case the first pair breaks.
    I own a synthesizer/keyboard, but I rarely get a chance to play it.
    I've got a mobile dual-screen DVD player that we use for the kids when travelling.
    I carry my two USB keys around everywhere. I've found that I have need for them quite often in unexpected situations.

Technologically Challenged:
    I use my cell phone as a cell phone... I don't use the camera, I don't use it to browse the Internet, I don't use it to check e-mails, and I rarely use it to play games (gotta do something while seated on the throne!).
    I've won a PDA and bought a PDA, and didn't use either of them enough to justify keeping them - so I sold them.
    I have two plain old CRT TV sets... no flat screen LCD, no plasma display, no HDTV, no digital cable, no TiVO, no surround-sound. I doubt they even have stereo sound. One TV has a DVD player attached, the other has a VCR attached.
    I don't have an XM or Sirius satellite radio.
    My watch is a plain old analog Timex expedition.
    I don't own a gaming console, nor do I want or need one. I've got a leet gaming rig!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I only bought a widescreen telly 2 years ago.

I bought a cheapie palm PDA less than a year ago purely used for my hobby.

I have owned a playstation, still got games for it :D

I only got a TFT screen for my comp just over a year ago.

I used to keep up with the trends but no longer, I have learnt the hard way that money is a finite source :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

definitely separated from birth...

i bought my 1st watch since primary school in 2002...it was a 15 quid casio job so i wouldn't miss my flights when i went travelling...still have it on the same battery but i've not worn a watch full time since primary school....

i think that if you have something that still does what you need it for, then why change...as someone said, money is finite....

Certifications: 271
  10. Colonel.D.Bugger

Colonel.D.Bugger New Member

I love my CRT !

Certifications: Bsc Comp Sci.
    WIP: MCDST & CCNA