Not having much luck so far...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arisen, Oct 11, 2005.

1. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Hi everyone, new to the forums! Great place...

Been trying to get into IT for a few months, i don't have any real IT experience and no certs as yet, although i am working on getting my Net+ done very soon. I have a computing degree though, but i'm not convinced it's worth much in getting an entry level job in this industry! :rolleyes:

I've considered joining a training provider to help with study structure and motivation etc, but i just can't seem to bear parting with the cash! £3-4k is all the money in the world to me right now and that student loan balance aint going anywhere soon!

I've applied for 19 jobs so far, all online through reed and jobsite.co.uk. So far i've only had 2 callbacks and one rejection, no interviews, and the rest were silences.

Can anyone offer me some direction? Will it be possible for me to get an IT job after getting some certs with no experience?

Should i consider trying to get someone to give me some voluntary work with them?

Help :oops:

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Do you have a 2 or 4 year degree? What is it in, specifically? And, yes, a degree without experience is about as good as certs without experience when it comes to finding your first job. I think the degree, depending on what it is, would probably be seen as more valuable here in the US with a lot of employers than certs would be. It all comes down to who is doing the hiring in the end though.

Experience is the key to finding that first job. It's the conundrum many of us are facing.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

I'm afraid I can't offer any experience, just a couple of ideas I've been thinking about (once I get some certs). The local CETS centres always seem to need volunteers & offer adult courses in computing. May be worth volunteering for that.

Another idea, although maybe a bit silly, would be to offer your services to the local internet cafe's at weekends & busy times, take some of the strain.

As yet untried, but I'm kinda thinking along those lines at the mo.

Good luck :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Unfortunately lack of experience is a problem many people have.

Many people try volunteering themselves with local charities, or offering their services free of charge to companies just to get that experience.

I'm curious though as to how old you are, and weather you have considered looking at an apprenticeship? That's how I got into IT, and how many others I know did too.

8)

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Simon,

Can you recommend anywhere for these IT apprenticeships?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not directly I can't, I only know of places local to me that offer them.

Try checking out your local careers centre, or Job centre. They should be able to head you in the right direction as far as providers are concerned.

8)

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheer Si, i will :D

8. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

thanks for the replies guys

ffreeloader > My degree was a sandwich degree, 3 years study and 1 year work experience - it was a degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering but my 12 months experience is in the electronics field :cry: I also have 3 years experience of postgraduate research in computing - distributed systems, networking, linux skills ( you guys think this is this worth anything in terms of employer interest???) :confused2

simon > Unfortunatley i'm over 24 so i don't qualify for an apprenticeship, which is a shame cos they sound real good!

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Definately worth mentioning!

This type of experience could be the difference between getting a response and not getting one.

8)

10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Oh, yeah. I wish I had that on my resume. It would make a lot of difference.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Arisen,

I know it must be cheesing you off but hang on in there. You have some awesome skills.
    Best of luck. Remember one job and that is your ticket. :thumbleft

12. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Thanks for the encouragement boyce! Really appreciate it, yes i'm getting more than slightly daunted by the job finding process but as i've read about other people sending out hundreds (if not nigh-on a thousand apps!) before getting their foot in...i guess i've just begun! :cheeseyg

Got a couple of agency calls yesterday, so it's not completley bleak!

I'm really enjoying the Net+ stuff right now, got the myers book, good book that!

13. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Be careful what you wish for, you may actually get it.

I pounded the doors for 3 1/2 years before I got the job i have now, and hindsight being 20/20, I should have stayed where I was. I didn't realize just how good I had it where I was until after i was gone.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  14. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Good luck!! You'll find a job soon!! There are lots of graduate/junior entry level jobs out there. Having a degree does help in getting an interview but as there are so many graduates out there, it's a competitive market. So getting certified will make you stand out and it shows that you're proactive, you're determined to succeed and get into IT.

For me, I'm a graduate, I've applied to hundreds of jobs and had quite a few interviews and job offers...but it's not what I want to do. Grrr!!! One day, I'll get my dream job. :x

Best of luck!!!

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net