Not enough server storage

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kat731, Apr 7, 2007.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

I have my machines on an XP network, simple file sharing etc. Alls been fine, accessing docs files etc. But yesterday i tried to access my docs on PC 1 from PC 2 and got, "Not enough server storage available to process this command":eek:
    Trawled google and fixed it by creating a new Dword in the registry-IRP Stack Size, decimal base of 20. Worked great. Cant seem to find an explanation of why that would happen? Just things about stack sizes being too small. I'll keep looking, always like to know why!!

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Kat,

I'm curious, did you restart any of the PC's when you received this error? :blink

3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Si,
    yeh, i immediately thought a restart sometimes cures ills. But kept doing it.

K

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Maybe a defrag would have helped, just maybe:D but at least you'd figured it out.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

kat731,

Question:
    1. Are the two XP computers the only computers in the network?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

R.H, well, i do have a Mac Mini which is connected via mapped drive, but wasnt on when this happened. Yes it was just my main XP lappie and my Optiplex XP desktop.

Kat

7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

kat731,

Questions:
    1. Does the desktop have Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition or Microsoft Windows XP Professional installed on it?
    2. Does the laptop have Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition or Microsoft Windows XP Professional installed on it?
    3. Are the two computers configured as members of a workgroup?

8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

RH,
    yeh all pro, all in same workgroup.
    K

9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

kat731,

Question:
    1. Are you running Norton Antivirus?

10. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Yes, i did read somewhere that NAV can cause this, but why after all this time?
    K

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

kat731,

The issue seems to be related to a registry key called "IRPStackSize." According to Microsoft, the "IRP" part of "IRPStackSize" refers to "I/O Request Packets." So according to Microsoft, "The IRPStackSize parameter specifies the number of stack locations in I/O request packets (IRPs) that are used by Windows 2000 Server and by Windows Server 2003." Therefore using an educated guess to answer your question of "...,but why after all this time?" would be that all this time, the number of IRP Stacks being used was less than the value of the IRPStackSize parameter at the time. You may be finally getting the error message because: a) you've exceeded the number of IRP stacks used compared to the IRPStackSize parameter value b) you're using the same number of IRP stacks but the IRPStackSize parameter value was changed to a lower value or c) both your IRP stack use has increased and your IRPStackSize parameter value was reduced. Maybe your antivirus program may be responsible for the IRPStackSize value reduction.

I hope this helps.

Source:
    1. Description of the IRPStackSize parameter in Windows 2000 and in Windows Server 2003 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285089/
    2. Not Enough Server Storage - http://winhlp.com/WxNotEnoughServerStorage.htm
    3. Antivirus software may cause Event ID 2011 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078/

12. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks RH, i'm glad i sorted it, just strange the way it just occured, hey, its good to learn!
    Kat