Not enough Experiance

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by MarkUK73, Nov 14, 2005.

1. MarkUK73

MarkUK73 New Member

Well , half way through my A+ book and all is going well , few bad section to brush up on .

Been knocking out a few C.V's to companys who are advertising 1st line support jobs 90% of the feed back is "Not enough experiance". Now we all know getting knocked back for jobs can be stressfull but i'm wondering is it all worth it ! i do have a good knowledge of what they are asking but it just don't seem to be paying off :cry:

Any hints from people in the same possition as me , advice would be most welcome .

Cheers
    M

WIP: A+
  2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

getting the A+ ought to help at this level. It shows you have *some* knowledge of the topic at hand. Also ensure your CV demonstrates any IT skills you have prominently on page 1 and also, if you build PCs etc and its your hobby, note that too.. it all helps...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

My first piece of advice to you is simple, don't become dishartened. As many others here will tell you they have been in the same boat as you, and many still are. The important thing is to not give up.

If it is experience that you are constantly being told you lack then you really have two options:

Option One: Volunteer, try anywhere, give up your free time to help others, shadow people doing their jobs, etc.

Option Two: On your applications try to enhance the skills that you have that you feel are relevant to the postion, eg, good communicator, enthusiastic, etc.
    Mention that you tinker in home labs, and that you are familliar with numerous concepts, but need to apply your skills to develop further.

Finally, (I didn't think of this until just now) mention that you are willing to work for cheap to build up your skills.

HTH. 8)

4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

hmm, not so sure about the work cheap bit.. it smacks of desperation. I'd merely say that salary ain't my priority.

but the rest makes sense to me.

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Clyde says it so much more eloquently than me! :biggrin

6. MarkUK73

MarkUK73 New Member

Seems i need to redo my CV then hopefully that may help me to get to interview stage .

WIP: A+
  7. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Have a look on this site here and here for CV writing help mate.

Good luck

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Be creative with your wording, but dont lie!

build/fix PCs for money/relatives/friends? then its not a hobby, your a Freelance desktop engineer
    from the age of 15 up I was attending LAN parties and helped setting them up, thus i was a Part time Junior Network engineer

the wording pays off
    but remember, dont ever lie, you will get spotted on the first day
    you can always tell someone who knows something over someone who wings it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

On that note Phoenix will I be able to justify adding 'wireless knowledge' to my cv?

Currently just setting my own secure wireless network up at home, but never set up wireless networks / security at work.

Can this be added as 'knowledge and skills' on a cv?

Sorry to go off topic a little there... :oops:

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  10. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

eek, be careful there... if you get quizzed on it you'll need to back it up, and in the case of your example, you'd likely be classed as a right b@llsh1tter!

but you are right, careful wording pays off. I'd have said
    Experience of PC building/maintenance/repair
    Expreience building and troubleshooting peer to peer networks
    or some such...

11. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I'd simply say I'd installed and configured simple wireless LANS. but, thats just me!

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd have to agree with this. Sure, a little creative wording can go a long way but remember, once you actually get the interview, they are going to ask for specifics about your experience. If you overstate what you've done on your CV, you'll end up with egg on your face when you finally have to describe where that experience came from.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

like i said, dont lie
    not sure how my example would be classed as BS, infact, i know full well it wasnt, as i got here fine!

I didnt make anything up and say i was a network engineer for some large firm, but i could still set up a switched network for 60 people and trouble shoot any problems in under 2 hours, hardly worth overlooking on the CV

no doubt hat you have to be careful what you write, and make sure you can back it up (in my instance i could, as the event admins had already said they classed me as holding such a position, even though it was voluntary)

Wireless wise, put it this way, provided your self education is including enough theory to mean you do know what your talking about, then I would definatly put it down, I just deployed a 9 access point solution with enterprise level VLAN integration and 802.1x, the wireless side was as simple as setting up my linksys at home though, again, dont BS though, it shines through all your good intention

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0