not bored yet? one more cv than

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by miflandia, Feb 27, 2010.

1. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hello.

I am around for a while now here and i thought i ask you guys to give me some advice about my CV and CL because i am not getting any feedback until now(Recently i started to apply for entry level positions(1st line support, pc repair, etc). Probably i have problems with the above mentioned docs and i am lack of current experience as well.
    So anything you see, think, advice.
    (Do not need to put it nice:twisted: i can handle it:snipersmi)
    thanks

Attached Files:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just a quick glance...

CV

1. You've got a few grammer mistakes there, eg "I Self Study through towards" & "Passionate for the computers"
    2. As you're trying to get into IT, I would change the format of your CV to an entry level one (you can download a template from MS). For example, putting your qualifications first, then your work experience.
    3. Under personal development, you've split the Network+ & the ITIL foundations under separate headings, I would just group then under one.
    4. Take your personal details out of the heading, you only need to enter it once on the top of the first page.
    5. Personal point... when I look at CV's from prospective employees, I like to see bullet points of/for skills that a person has and not have to go thru the whole CV/cover letter to try to see what they may or may not have.

Cover letter

1. I would take the P.S. out.
    2. Formatting of the cover letter, eg two spaces after each".", a space between each paragraph, etc...
    3. More about you & what you can contribute to the organisation in the cover letter, less about what future qualifications you may or may not gain contains.

Like I said, this is just a quick glance, others will put their two cents in too :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Obviously, the first thing and I mean the very first thing that is going to put someone off, is the format of the entire thing. It is a mess, so that's a small bit of work that will make a big difference.

Secondly, is your language barrier as a Hungarian... I'm not too sure how to approach that.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If I do this, it's rarely a quick glance :biggrin

Track-changed and commented amendment attached.

You probably want to take the following points into consideration:

1. I am a complete pedant when it comes to spelling and grammar; I am not being any more harsh on you than I would on anyone else, but your written standard of English is probably going to be a major weakness for you in the future, and it may be worth you going on a course to brush up your skills? You can obviously communicate, but it doesn't come across in a professional manner.

2. I don't "hire and fire" but I see a lot of CVs on here, and I know what my own looks like. My CV works, and I basically used common sense in constructing it. So I throw a bucket of common sense over other people's CVs and see where it goes :)

3. Don't take it personally; it is just my opinion.

Aside from what has already been mentioned....

In summary, what I see on your CV, apart from an issue with grammar (which is understandable) is that you are not selling yourself. At all. Your "personal statement" can also be condensced to a one-liner which recruiters possibly see on every entry level CV that hits their desk. Nothing makes you stand out. You have simply done a chronological list of job descriptions. You haven't put what skills these jobs have given you - despite seemingly having quite a lot of exposure to IT and to customer service-orientated positions. You also sweepingly mention projects you have "undertaken" - that's a dangerous way of putting it IMO as it gives no idea of what role you had in a project. Clarify things more. You need to tell the employer this, as if the CV doesn't tell it them well enough, they'll have another 50 in their pile that they can sift through - they won't invite you in for an interview so you can explain yourself.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Thank you Ken.
    I will change these mistakes, and check the formatting.

The language barrier, unfortunately my mother language is not common here, so i can not take an advantage of it.:(
    The only thing what i can do is improving my English language skill. (i reckon this is a good place to do that:):iluvcf)

Thanks the help guys

6. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Dear Arroryn

As i said i can handle many things.
    But at the moment i do not know how to say thank you.
    I can not tell how much i appreciate the help you just gave me.
    I reconsider my past and i will correct my mistakes:oops:.
    I know the language is a very important i will do a research what is the best option for me.
    I start work on my CV.
    I will give you an update how things going with the CV 1.1:D
    Thanks
    Istvan

7. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

Try and reduce all the HGV jobs into one block. They are not relevant for the work you are looking for and makes it appear as though you change jobs every year.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  8. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hi
    I wanted to do that but i think that would break the continuity. Or at least i have to reduce the rest as well and leave the chronology and the dates.
    I tried that a while ago and it looked like i try to hide something(Am I Paranoid?).

Maybe i should put something like
    2006 - 2010 Hgv Driver. Various companies. Delivering goods throughout the South East UK and London.
    I do not know. It sounds crap to me
    Or

2008 - Present **** Flight Heathrow Ltd
    HGV driver
    Loading and offloading trucks and aircrafts as part of a team

2006 - 2008 Various companies.
    Hgv Driver
    Delivering goods throughout the South East UK and London.

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I havent read the CV, so no comment there, but one trick you can do, is if you are doing the same job (HGV Driver) for various companies, but all through the same agency, then I would put your employer as the agency, and declare that you operated for various companies on behalf of the agency.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Fergal1982

Oh, and another thing. You need to emphasize that you are multi-lingual - and which languages you speak. Its a major plus point, and in some cases could be the factor that gets you the job: If the employer regularly deals with people in a country speaking your native tongue, then you are a prime candidate to fill that position.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  11. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hi.

I can not put them under one agency, because they all different companies. The reason i have changed the job so many times, because i do not like this job at all.(but it pays well)
    And here comes the multi-lingual issue.
    I have very strong communication skills(in my own language) but i am still driving because i have to learn more English. Which is very hard for a driver, as i sit in the cab all day, or work in very noise environment(airport). I do not even want to talk about the fact: most of my colleagues speak less English than me.
    Plus my mother language not really common here so...
    I tried to look for language jobs, once a year one come up.
    And i would be more happy to deal with English speaking costumers/Users as it would improve my language skills as well.
    Thanks the advice anyway

12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

"customers" please :twisted:

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'd have thought that would actually be prime learning time, grab some language tapes/cds and off you go. It'll help a lot when the kick ass CV these guys help you produce starts landing you interviews! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I agree.
    It would be hard to study IT related material while driving but you can definately boost your english skills by using audio study materials.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  15. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Lol.
    Actually i am doing it. But mostly in my my break times. When i am driving i can not really learn.

16. Fergal1982

learning off a tape is never even close to real life conversations. It teaches you to speak, but rather properly to listen, or interact. If the sound byte isnt delivered exactly as it was on the tape, the meaning is lost (certainly to me). Its much better to interact as much as possible.

I'd still include the language in your CV. Perhaps not actively seek a job doing that language (since you want an English language job), but its definately a plus point.