Not As Easy As You Think!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by datarunner, Sep 1, 2005.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

i did those Microsoft self assesment tests and these exams are not as easy as people think or make out. Anyone else find this. I scored a mere 43% on my 1st try. Shame on me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The Microsoft self assessment tests aren't to test your technical knowledge. They pick up on your weak areas so that you know where to study.

I think?

What other resources did you use to study for this exam?

3. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

I didnt study at all. I was just testing my current knowledge (or lack of) then tried the self assessments to see where I stood. Looks like I need to brush up on some stuff.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Bit of an expensive way to test your current knowledge don't you think? :rolleyes:

I'll bet that next time you'll go into the exam fully prepared though! :p

5. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

What are you talking about? It didnt cost me anything. What part of FREE PRACTICE SELF ASSESSMENT do you not understand. If you dont have anything creative or positive to say then I'd rather not hear from you. Your attitude is terrible. I can see you going far in customer support.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry but who the heck do you think you are? simongrahamuk has given some of the best advice to people on this forum including and dont take my word for it listen to what some of the other guys say:

Jakamoko (yeah we all know him!)
    Straight in to help any new Member posting questions for the first time, as well as helping more seasoned Members too. Great asset to CF already, so soon after joining - thank you Simon.

ffreeloader
    Good advice Simon. More of these newbies need to hear this kind of stuff.

next time think before you open your mouth! :x

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, firstly let me apologise. I misunderstood your post to mean that you had completed the self assessment tests and then gone and sat the REAL exam. This is what I thought you had failed.

Secondly, (and still thinking that this was the real exam you had failed) I asked you what other resources you had used, this was in the hope of being able to offer some suggestions.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok datarunner and zimbo...cool off a bit. Datarunner, keep in mind that due to the nature of a "text only" communication environment, things like facial expression and voice tone are completely missing and it sometimes is impossible to tell the "attitude" of a member by their text alone. My knowledge of Simon is that he has a pretty good attitude and (normally at least) wouldn't deliberately be rude to a fellow forum member. When I read his message, I really didn't take it the way you seem to be.

Zimbo, while it's good that you are coming to Simon's defense, your tone is still pretty confrontational. There are better ways for the both of you to address an issue when you think you (or someone else) has been wronged.

Even you believe a fellow member has been rude or out of line, you can post a bit more of a decent reply such as "I'm not sure what you are saying but it seems like you don't think much of my decision" or something like that. Let the other party know that you experience their post as out of line but don't assume that it was. Give them a chance to respond to your perception. In many cases, they might have made their statement tongue-in-check and you happened to take it the wrong way (I've been guilty of this as well).

You could also PM the member and let them know how you perceived their comments and give them a chance to discuss the matter with you out of the public eye. If you settle it behind the scenes, then you don't pull the rest of the members into a potential conflict.

There is no excuse for flaming. I'm not angry at anyone at this stage but I do want to give fair warning. It's time to resolve this issue. If this thread continues on with a hostile tone, I will lock it no one will be able to keep posting to it.

Nuff said.

EDIT: Looks like Simon slipped in and replied while I was still typing. Hope thinks sort out, guys.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im cool 8) apologises for the tone - no conflict intended just making sure we dont loose Simon's good advice he has to offer us!

Keep it going simon! :biggrin

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

*wonders where his pheo patented shotgun is*
    i know i left it around here somewhere!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Take it easy, Tex. Put away that shootin' iron afore somebody gets hurt. :biggrin

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

afore?? AHAHAHAAH
    whats so funny is i can just imagine you saying that to me over a beer, LOL!!!
    speaking of beer, i might be over at christmas, i spose bbq seasons over?

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

IRL, I never say "afore". I was trying to put on my best Texas cowboy accent. :tongue

I BBQ a turkey at Thanksgiving so no, I can BBQ in December. Just don't expect me to eat out on the patio. *brrrrrrrr*

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

heh we did that once, we actually sat out on the tarmac with a bbq burning away, it started to rain so we threw up some tarps, this is what happens when you have aussie and saffer mates who like to bbq :D

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, I know what "aussie" means but even dictionary.com and wikipedia.org couldn't find "saffer". :blink

EDIT: Add Urban Dictionary to the list of places that don't know what "saffer" means either. :rolleyes:

16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry mates but the kings of BBQ are the south africans!!! Chops... chicken, streak... boers and the greatest beer in the world CASTLE LAGER!! Have a braii and then compare!! :biggrin

17. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Sorry guys. Maybe I took it the wrong way. But to me, it seemed I was being shot down for paying money to sit an exam that I failed. Neither of which was the case at all.

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Let's just call it a misunderstanding and move on, datarunner. :)

19. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

No worries here and I'm not here to make enemies. My apologies.

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, looks like all's well then - no point going over old ground again. As Trip points out, emotions and nuances are hidden on a Forum. As long as things are cool here, I think we can move on .... :)

EDIT: oops - last to the table again :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity