Norton

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Aug 12, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yesterday Lou brought home a copy of Norton Systemworks 2004 from a workmate. I specifically asked for Norton Antivirus 2004 as I know from working at BT Broadband that Norton Systemworks and Internet Security can cause problems to PCs. (I know some of you may differ but let me argue this case). Anyway I decided to give it a try as I knew if I complained about Lou would go mad (she thinks I dont appreciate what she does for me..well if she got it right for once then maybe I will:dry ). I first uninstalled Norton AV 2003 and installed the AV instead of the whole of Systemworks. now I was hoping I would be wrong in terms of it causing problems to my PC but I wasnt. and it was worse than I thought. first of all Norton AV 2004 would not even go onto Auto-Protect, in fact it was totally disabled, secondly Systemworks was not letting me do anything other than hit the Next button so many times but not getting past the :cussing welcome screen :x . but worse was to follow...I tried to see if I could play some music but Windows Media was not opening :cussing it kept coming up with some error message relating to memory problems but I knew that wasnt right. so I left that and came onto Certforums. I was hitting Quick Reply to reply a post and it kept taking me to the advanced section at first I thought has Si and the rest of them not told us anything or is it just me? and I knew it was me..I realised that even trying to open a new post was not happening. so I went to Ebuyer's website to check if that was ok and it wasnt the drop down menus were not dropping down..in fact they were at the bottom of the web page on every page that is :x . I was at the end of my tether and all Lou could think about was :cussing food. I didnt have time for food but I told her I wasnt blaming her entirely as I did warn her at the beginning about the program. So afterwards I thought lets uninstall it and put Norton AV 2003 back in and everything was back to normal. Now the way I see it I dont how other people's PC can take it but mine certainly does not like Norton Systemworks and if this is anything to go by Norton Internet Security wont be much help either. now I dont know about you guys but I certainly am not happy that this person who lent the CD to Lou didnt take on board exactly what I asked for. its a case of if you want something done properly do it yourself. think I might use that as my new signature from now on.

Oh and if anyone else has been having this problem I would like to hear it. Thanks and sorry but I had to do it.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've got SystemWorks 2003 and 2004 on various combinations of machines and haven't had any problems. As far as needing AntiVirus, why don't you just go with a free copy of AVG ?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have...the trial ran out yesterday Aug 11th...

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i thought AVG was free??

yeah i had systemworks 2003 and 2004 and they ran fine

why not just install the AV component (Norton Antivirus) that comes with systemworks and not the rest of the stuff?? you can select which pieces to instal, and the Antivirus is identical to the individual setup

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I wont say anything else Phoenix....:dry

I thought AVG was free too but obviously isnt if the trial was only 30 days!!!

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm running AVG on my work PC and it seems quite permanent to me. Others who use it swear by it and say they'd never go back to Norton or McAfee.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well until I get the free version I am stuck with Nortan AV 2003...and I wont be able to download AVG until Monday at the lastest as Lou has a mate of hers staying this weekend so I cant use my PC and also I am away this weekend in Newcastle visiting my 2yr old son.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Praise be to that, Trip. Will never use any other, either at home, or work. No need ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity