norton ghost

Discussion in 'Software' started by Carlito, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Carlito

Carlito Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have recently purchased ghost V15, I have a few questions that I could do with some help on. Having never used ghost previously im not sure how it works. From what I have read you can either backup files and folders or OS + files and folders. I am confused as to how you create an "image" of a computer in order to fully restore a system that has had a broken hdd for example back to its original state. From what I have read you need to boot from the recovery cd (aka cold image) in order to image C:, is this correct?. also say for example I was in a business enviroment and had dozens of machines of the exact make, model and spec is it possible to run one single image on all of these? if so how do you get roundabout product numbers and user accounts being duplicated?

Sorry about the long post any hel and or advice would be much appreciated.

thanks all in advance

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

We've got seriously old version of ghost, think it was 8.3 maybe, but i'd imagine it works in the same way.

You can create a bootable USB drive, with all the ghost files and structures on it. then when you boot the machine up with it plugged in you can select to go into USB Drive.

This then loads into the ghost console, where you can select to create an image from the machines hard drive. it'll take a while depending on the size of it.

You can also image a machine from a .gho file onto a machine, providing it is the correct spec/drivers etc.

We had around 80 Dell 755's a long time back, all were imaged from the exact same image file using ghost. All we did was setup 1 machine intitially, with the drivers, and standard apps (i.e. office etc) - took an image of it, and then deployed it to any new machines that came in.

Also, like you mentioned usefull for taking backups of client machines.

How V15 works compared to that... not sure, but it's the basics of it :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

More or less what apexes said, however, how many machines are we talking about???

We make an image cd then drag the stuff from the server on our network, which works, but the more machines you put on the slower it goes. The main tech guy decided to use the 4 protable HDs he had, and put the whole lot on them, which was about 30 gig, and do them that way which, when done that way, took between 35 - 50 mins.

The way we work our licence key for activating windows is basically have the key text document on a mapped drive, and copy the key, we then update individually on each machine, and because the school has bought 500 licences then, every time we register a machine, it goes to the update server, and knocks the tally down by one, and in-turn authenticates the machine.

In your case, im presuming you would just type the key on the back of the machine, unless you have a licence system like we have. Thats unicasting, i have also done it in the past via multi cast.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680