Noob in need of help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yesevil, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Yesevil

Yesevil New Member

Guys,

Just after a little advice if possible.

Wondering if anyone can recommend some good freeware to clean up my gf's laptop?
    God only knows what rubbish she has installed on it but it has recently started to run very slow and takes some time to fully boot up and become usable.

I would normally use the likes of ccleaner, spybot, reg mechanic etc. Just wondering if you guys could recommend any new tools for me to try and clean her laptop up and maybe sanitize the hard drive.

Many Thanks in advance

Matt

WIP: A+
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Diskpart and Windows install disk ? :wink: MS System File Checker, Malicious Software Removal Tool, Regedit, System Restore, Windows Backup, MSconfig, Service Control Panel.

CCleaner, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Antimalware, Microsoft Security Essentials, Rootkit Revealer, Combofix, Autoruns, WinDirStat, Revo Uninstaller, Sophos Anti-Rootkit, Process Explorer, TCPView/netstat, Process Monitor, WinDbg, HijackThis, Tizer Rootkit Razor.

Really a re-install is the way to go for people that wreck their PC with malware, rootkits are pretty advanced nowadays.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I really think if it's that full of crap or running really bad then a reinstall is the way to go. Other than that CCleaner and a manual scan through the add/remove programs to remove applications like toolbars etc.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Hey Matt,

Install Malwarebytes, update and run a full scan. Then see what state the machine is in after a restart and malware removal.

Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes

Is the machine fully patched? www.microsoftupdate.com

Does the machine have up-to-date antivirus software installed? Run full scan

Have fun! :)

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I think the guys have given some good advice, but i would go with a re-install

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

I would go with the re-instal too. You will always be wondering "did i get rid of it"

You can use WET, Windows easy transfer to transfer user files and settings etc. You still need to install the apps again.