Noob - Apologies

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by msa92, Apr 13, 2013.

1. msa92

msa92 New Member

Hi,

I have always wanted to have a future in security i.e. hacking. I am currently studying the CompTIA Security+ book for the exam I will be taking soon. For me to become an expert in information security what steps will I need to take after the exam? On the CompTIA website it shows what you need to become an expert in security.
    certification.comptia(.)org/ExploreCareers/careerpaths/career_roadmap.aspx
    After reviewing this, what are the possibilities of me finding a job after doing all the accreditation listed on the road-map in becoming a security expert. I am only 20 years old living in the UK, what are the possibilities of me finding employment here in the UK or anywhere else in the world.

Do I require a degree?

WIP: CompTIA Security+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What you really need is experience, if you want to be a 'hacker' then you're going to have to have a decent understanding of a number of different areas, whether that's programming, web servers, networking or basic OS you need to have an idea and understanding of where to look for vulnerabilities to by-pass.

Now of course if you're already hacking things and have a 'portfolio' of sorts then the chances of walking into a White Hat Hacking company increase but if all you've done is watch Hackers and thought that's what you want to do then you really need to get a background exposure to Sys Admin type work first.

The Security guys that I work with have all tended to come from a Linux\Unix background, worked in Global Network Operations type roles and have a decent grounding in OS\Network\Webservers and a programming language or 2.

Wait for Rob1234 to come along and see if he can offer more advice (he is a security guy).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You could look at free resources from OpenSecurity.

Offensive Security run some interesting online courses, they are not really for beginners though.

Search for security jobs and look at the skills they require.

Pen testers tend to want Crest or Tiger scheme.

Here is an example job:-
    Musings from Matta

Unless you are very skilled and knowledgeable its unlikely security will be a first job, its far more likely you will need to learn a base set of skills in an entry level job first. There are graduate level openings at some places so maybe a degree might get you in if lucky.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013