Non-unicode programs language options

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by dales, Jan 21, 2007.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

having a bit of trouble figuring this one out, or at least finding a definiative answer. the non-unicode language is this for example, you buy a program from china or somewhere thats not written in english and its not unicode you set the language to china and it will display the program icons etc in english/chinese? This is also without the need to install any MUI's, LIP's.

I struggle with my native language let alone learning somebody elses so never really fiddled with this option before.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

dales,

Saying "non-unicode" is like saying "non-Microsoft." So does that mean Unix/Linux, Novell, or other? Can you be more specific by saying what it IS (e.g. ASCII or EBCDIC) instead of what it is NOT?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

to be fair I dont actually know, im just trying to figure out what this option does in xp pro, im studying for the 271.:oops:

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

dales,

Which option in Microsoft Windows XP Professional are you talking about?

5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

regional and language options the advanced tab, thanks for that.

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

dales,

That refers to configuring Microsoft Windows XP Professional to be able to view, navigate, and enter data in the native foreign language.

For example, if you go to http://www.yahoo.co.jp , you will probably get a lot of incomprehensible code and stuff.

Now, install the language option for "Japanese" then go to http://www.yahoo.co.jp .

You should notice in your second visit to http://www.yahoo.co.jp that instead of incomprehensible code and stuff you should now be able to view, navigate, and enter data in Japanese. How to use "Windows IME" is a separate lesson. How to read Japanese is also a separate lesson(s).

See, once upon a time, ASCII used only 7 bits. That was enough for the basic alphabet for English. Then, EBCDIC used 8 bits which permitted more characters to include accents on letters. However, foreign languages such as Japanese, Korean, and Chinese needs a lot more than 8 bits to represent the various letters in their "alphabets." That's where Unicode comes in. Unicode in UTF-32 can use up to 32 bits. Unicode also standardizes how languages are presented on the screen. It standardizes like how a certain binary number will be translated to a foreign language the same way as long as both computer and server supports Unicode.

I hope this helps.

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Ah I see thanks for that!