Nokia 3300 Frequency Mismatch ...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Bull Gates, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

Hi all, I'd b thankful for ne help.
    I got a Nokia 3300 from the US for 90$, but there the cellular services operate at 850/1900MHz and here in this part of the world where I stay the frequencies at which the cellular services operate are 900/1800MHz. Now everything works fine except that it can't communicate as it can't detect the network. Its a dual band cell phone so if ne1 could temme how can I make it work at 900/1800MHz I'd be really grateful.
    I've communicated the problem to the local Nokia Service Center but the response was useless. They jes refused to help me sayin that the phones brought from the US won't work over here.
    So I dunno wht to do abt it now :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I personally would sell it on eBay to someone in the US...and get one that u know will work in India...less hassle than trying to sort it out...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I could be wrong Bull but I think the guy who told you it wouldn't work is correct.

Generally, ocillator frequencies are stabilised (kept accurate) by crystals (quartz) etc and the circuitry is built to operate at a given range. So it is not easily tweaked to another frequency. I am not specifically talking about mobile phones here, I am just giving my opinion from an electronics perspective as to why it probably can't be changed.

I know mobiles from the US won't work here in Australia either, though I have used mobiles from the UK and the UAE without any issues.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you would of needed a tri band phone to work across the world, unfortunatly the guy from nokia was correct, you cant do squat about it

as is normally the case, the US operates a different system to 99% of the planet, and interoperable phones require the use of all frequency bands, generally called tri-band phones

sorry its not much more use,

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Interestingly enough, that seems to be true about just about everything...not just phones. :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

Hmmm ... I wanted that particular cell coz its got nice user friendly controls which isn't the case in the same phones available over here. Newayz I thank all u fellas for ur suggestions. And ya as Phoenix quoted "as is normally the case, the US operates a different system to 99% of the planet" so its prejudice from Nokia as they manufacture user friendly for the US market n sub-standard phones for the other markets.

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE