Noise from grapics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffreeloader, May 2, 2008.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have something going on with a graphics card of mine that's just very strange. I've never run across this before. I can hear a sound that reminds me electrical arcing that seems to be coming from my graphics card when I drag something across the screen or grab the scroll bar with the mouse and force the page to scroll very rapidly. I can even hear it when I move the mouse rapidly up and own menus.

Now if I use the up and down arrows to scroll a page the noise doesn't happen, nor if a play a video or use a burn-in tool that runs the cpu and and all video components under heavy load. It only seems to happen with mouse-related screen movement.

I've pulled the graphics card and there is no evidence of great heat or arcing, although there is more residual heat in it than I would like to see a minute or so after system shutdown.

Anyone ever had this happen to them?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This may sound daft but have you tried another mouse? Is it a USB mouse you are using? Perhaps try a PS2 one instead....

Strange problem :hhhmmm

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. ffreeloader

No. I haven't tried another mouse. I use very basic PS/2 mice as I use a KVM that requires a PS/2 mouse.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Did you get a USB\PS2 adaptor with the mouse? Might be worth a shot.

.....or put some music on. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. ffreeloader

No, I didn't. I was just looking around for another mouse and believe it or not I don't have a spare. I don't have a spare PCI Express video card either or I'd swap it out too. I ordered one last night, but it will be a few days getting here from NewEgg.

The sound seems to be getting more pronounced too and I'm afraid I'll burn up the card, motherboard, and/or cpu all at the same time if there's really something wrong with the card.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think it's a Linux problem. :twisted:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Haven't ever encountered that problem, Freddy... only sound I've ever heard from the video card is the fan spinning. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ffreeloader

LOL. It's something that has me puzzled that's for sure. I did happen to find an old mouse and tried it; the problem isn't the mouse....

8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Maybe there are some crumbs on the mousemat. :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Very strange Freddy.

Firstly video cards without cooling fans do get very hot, so thats probably normal.

For it to be making a noise (assuming no fan) then either, you do have a dry joint that is arking that you havent been able to find 'or' a component is *resonating*. Things that use 'inductance' can do this at certain frequencies, like coils, transformers etc. That could explain it, and if you could identify the actual component that was eminating the sound, you may be able to dampen it using some wiley ingenuity :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Freddy, what vendor and model graphics card is it?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!