NOD32 Hangs on startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stoney, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi,

I recently moved from the dark side and ditched Norton Anti-virus in favour of NOD32. At the moment I have only been using the trial version because I wanted to evaluate it before I commited paying for it.

It seemed to be running fine until about a week ago, when my pc started to hang when loading the desktop and programmes for the system tray.

Firstly it would show my USB WAN Adapter icon in the system tray, and then try loading NOD32 and Asus Probe. It would then stop for a few minutes before returning this message;

Can't open Kernel driver asLM75.sys I would click OK and then get this message;

Can't load AsmiHwIO.dll After clicking OK everything seemed to load up ok.

I did some research and these 2 files are part of the Asus Probe, which is a utility for monitoring my CPU, motherboard, fans etc. I reluctantly un-installed Asus Probe to see if the problem would go away.

I don't get error messages at the startup any more, but now NOD32 takes about 5 minutes before the splash screen clears and the icon appears in the system tray. None of the other programmes are loaded until this splash screen goes away.

I've uninstalled NOD32 and then re-installed but the problem came back straight away. I can't see any application errors in the Event Viewer.

I am not sure where else to look to identify this problem, and if it is a software bug with NOD32 then I don't want to pay for the licensed version. However, I want to rule out all possibilities before condeming NOD32 to the bin, even though I quite like it and I don't want to go back to Norton.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you remove NOD32 does the system speed up?

3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Righty ho,

After an hour of disabling startup services and restarting my machine about 100 times I found some more info.

With no startup services running, just NOD32, NOD32 loads up quick as a flash as it had been doing.

As I started to add each service one by one, NOD32 started to hang on the splash screen when these sevrices were started:

NeroCheck
    Adobe Gamma Loader
    Microsoft Office

Without these services running life is good!

I also noticed that when my USB ADSL WAN adapter is plugged in NOD32 hangs. I tried this with no services running and then with everything on (that didn't cause a problem). I'm not sure if it would be the ADSL adapter, or the Safely Remove Hardware programme that runs in the system tray.

Anyway, I'm still unsure of where to go with this? I never had problems with these services running before when I was using Norton.

I have contacted Eset support and I'm awaiting to hear back from them. But I know what big corporate support centres are like so I'm not holding my breath!!

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey Simon,

You replied as I was typing!

With NOD32 removed there's no problem with startup. The system runs fine once NOD32 has loaded into the system tray, it's just the 5-6 minutes of waiting for that to happen that's really annoying me! :x

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You have said that it was running fine until about a week ago, what has changed since then? Any Updates? Could you try a system restore to before it slowed down?

:blink

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

or why dont you just uninstall it and use a diff program...

7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Simon: I was considering a restore but I wanted to see if I could rectify the problem without one. Also I don't recall d/l any updates prior to it starting to hang, and if an update is responsible then surely it would be d/l again and cause the same problem?

Cheekmaster: I am very close to using a different programme, but like I said 'I didn't want to condem NOD32 to the bin without making sure it wasn't my system causing the problem'. However the way things are going I think NOD32 is going to find a nice new home in the bin quite soon!!

Can you recommend any good anti-virus programmes? Do you know what AGV is like?

Cheers,

Paul

8. Mr.Cheeks

AVG Free is very good, i use it on all my machines and ones that i setup aswell... I haven't found any differences with the Pro version, other than its userface, which to me is more complicated...

Give it a bash and see how it goes...

9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Cheekmaster: I think I will. Thanks :)

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

AVG get's my vote too. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

AVG is not that good;
    its scope of worms and viruses not good! it isnt as good as symantec.

okay this is my 2cents; you might not have norton completely uninstalled; norton is notorious for their uninstall programs not uninstalling them completely and when another AV is loaded there is conflict of interest; go to symantec site
    and find nonav2.exe file this is a compiled system of batch programs that remove systematically every trace of Norton you have on your system; or ask them or google the nonav program
    that removes your old norton AV. no sh$$ they have found that
    their removal tools was not good enough so techs/programmers made an extra nonnav tool it is called trust me; i feel
    i own stock in Norton/symantec after all this
    i Run NOD32 withall the software you describe no hangs
    boots fast; i think there is a tug of war going on between your old AV and the new NOD32.

my 2cents

:biggrin

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have to say that I would normaly consider NOD32 to be superior to AVG.

And itdaddy is quite correct to point out that Norton sometimes clings on like grim death and can cause problems.

I would agree that that is the first place to look.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well i'm no closer to sorting this out.

I tried unistalling NOD32, running noNav and then re-installing NOD32. This has achieved nout! I did notice that when I rebooted after uninstalling NOD32 that my pc still hung in the same place as it had when NOD32 was installed. Just before it detects my LAN connection.

The boys from Eset got back to me aswell (that was quick!!) and they asked how many network connections I had? If I had more than one then to disable all but the default. Well up until last week, about the same time that my pc started hanging, I only had my dial-up connection for my broadband, and then I tried configuring my pc to have a shared internet connection with my gf's laptop.

I'm starting to think that maybe this could be an underlying cause?

I can't disable the LAN connection to see if that works. When ever I try I get a message saying:

It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug and Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or system account.

The same applies for disabling it on the laptop.

I'm not sure what the problem is but I can pretty much rule out NOD32 now.

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’ve installed NOD on over 100 PCs and I’ve only had problems with one PC that was loaded with spyware.

The guys at Eset are generally helpful with tech support as well. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you want to reset your networking back to standard use:
    Code:
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    at a CMD prompt.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  16. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

i have used many versions of nonav and sometimes you have to hack out symantec; i have done it on over 100 PCs kind of sucks
    when you have corporate or enterprise version you have to read their whitepapers to hack it out....but i love to hack at the innerworkins:eek: of registry etc...but i guess in your guess remove those cards and try some other ones and you are getting there. looks like...but the only reason i said anything about norton is
    there are times i had to break out the white papers and hack away and i have got somewhere doing this.....but keep at it you will find it...

17. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for all your input regarding this issue. :biggrin

I've done a system restore to the day before I configured the Home network using ICS and I no longer have any problems during startup. I have no idea why this would cause a problem and quite frankly I couldn't give a monkeys right now!

Anyway, my PC is happy again which means I can get back to studying......... 'til next time! :dry

Cheers,

Paul

18. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'm a bit late to the fray here, but I've recently moved away from AVG to Avast! and I have to say, in comparison, AVG is a steaming pile of poo. Avast! has far more options and it found several infected files on my PC that AVG was missing. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a free AV program.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  19. Mr.Cheeks

hmmm interesting... i might just give it a go.. and if its not up to standard, im hunting you down Baba!

20. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Quaking in my boots!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270