No work experience!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by computerian, Feb 28, 2011.

1. computerian

computerian Bit Poster

Searching for the it jobs but everyone is asking for work experience..I dont have work experience but have knowledge of IT.

Anyone got idea how shall i move forward??

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The only way to get in is to not give up. Keep looking and applying even if they are asking for experience.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. premier martin

premier martin Bit Poster

hi there
    this is a catch 22 for you as you need experiance to get experiance. the best method for you is to sit an A+ exam. okay it sounds expensive if you say you are good with them then the exam shouldnt be much for you as you wont need to do the courses just buy a couple of books as a refresher course for you example i buy A+ fast pass as a refresher book. then apply to the ILA which they can give you upto £200 towards youre tests if you prove to them that you are taking a course on this which will almost pay for both exams. what the A+ cert dose is tells an employer that you have experiance in working and repairing computers and you can prove it with this certificate so hope this helps and good luck

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you can, try volunteering. Apart from that, just continue to apply for jobs. It took me 5 years to get into IT, it may have taken me that long, but I still got in :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

No it doesn't - it says that you've passed an exam on A+ and that you have knowledge of it, in no way does it prove you have experience in working in IT

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although you may perceive there to be a catch-22 situation, it really doesn't exist. You may need experience to get jobs that require experience... but entry-level IT jobs, by definition, require no experience. After all, an entry-level job is a job in which you ENTER the career field.

As Apexes correctly stated, the A+ certification does not indicate that you have experience. In fact, no certification does. All a certification does is show an employer that you have the knowledge that is required to pass an exam based on those technologies.

Don't misunderstand me, the A+ is worth getting. I just don't want people getting the wrong impression that a certification is a valid substitute for experience, when in fact, it is not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. computerian

computerian Bit Poster

thanks all of you for suggestion..lets hope for good:)

8. premier martin

premier martin Bit Poster

i apologise if my statement offended some of you i realise that experiance is the wrong choice of wording in stead i should have used that it lets the employer know that you have a goos knowladge and understangs and have the necisarry skills to do the job that you wish to go for but i still stand that the A+ exam is a great way for some one looking to do IT as if you go straight for an MCSE it is less that an employer would start you if you have no previouse experiance in IT and i agree that doing volunteer work goes along way as i know some one who volunteered for 1 year while studing at college and ended up being employed and now they are putting him through him MCSE

9. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I wasn't offended, takes more than that to upset me :mrgreen:

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud